Not able to shutdown system

Hi,

I am a newbie in FreeBSD. I have tried 'shutdown -h now' as in Linux. But after saying "System is halted" it says that press any key to reboot and the system reboots, if I press any key. Is this the default behaviour in FreeBSD. I have found the -p option in shutdown that power off the system.

Please clear this doubt.

And of course, you did a $ man [man]shutdown[/man], which says:
Code:
-h The system is halted at the specified time.
-p The system is halted [u]and the power is turned off[/u](hardware sup-port required) at the specified time.

Oh and if your system is old (~ +9 years) it might not have an ACPI capable motherboard and # shutdown -p now will behave like # shutdown -h now.

tangram said:
Oh and if your system is old (~ +9 years) it might not have an ACPI capable motherboard and # shutdown -p now will behave like # shutdown -h now.

if it's as new as the MSI 945GCM7-L, # shutdown -p now will behave like # shutdown -h now too ... and so will # halt -p now... :(

Yup ... as a matter of fact, neither DF or Open have any problems on that mobo ...

To be honest, and having found that booting _without_ ACPI on 7.2 throws me a Fatal Trap 9, I'm growing more and more unconfident on the state of FreeBSD's ACPI as days go by ...

PD: btw .. I got so used to power the system off by hand that I stop caring about that issue with that mobo ...

Yup ... three of them ... I'm running on the latest one (3.2).

According to the BIOS boot: ACPI 1.0 Enabled

I have to warn you though, that particular machine is running 7.0-REL (can't update yet); but in all honesty, that mobo was already old by the time 7.0 was released.

Back