Solved Not a single browser works...

Hi again!
Im really grateful for all help, which got my xfce up and running. Im running freebsd just for fun, which I think most people do if I should be honest. I didnt know anything about it so I knew that the installation process would be hard. When I got xfce to work I felt so cool, and since Im 35 years old, thats not a feeling I get to have to often.

However that feeling is lost now, since none of the browsers seem to work.

1. In firefox the tand keps crashing. This forum is unreachable for an exemple.
2. In Opera some pages are unreachable because of some Security slash protokoll issue. This forum is even there, one of the affected sites.
3. Chrome doesnt even start. I get "not implemented reach in bool base".

I also see that the last thread in this category is by me, so perhaps there are that many people running freebsd as desktop. Its been a few days since my thread. I thought at least some new thread should have come up.

Ive also lost my wallpaper in xfce... I had a little bsd devil which felt like a throphy....

Im running freebsd just for fun, which I think most people do if I should be honest.
You would be wrong.
I knew that the installation process would be hard.
Compared to what? Windows? Yes. But I find Windows far more difficult to maintain. It's the only OS I know that the best way to fix problems is reboot or reinstall.

I have none of the issues you mention in your list but I question if your issues are due to misspelling something.

This might seem absurd but why not just start over. If its just for fun. Learn what you are actually installing instead of blindly following someone else's instructions.
xfce is working fine and I have never has such problems you are experiencing.
In my early days I would wipe it in a heartbeat. I still keep most of my vital config files on USB thumbdrive backed up.
That is probably one of the first things to learn. Mounting a usb drive and backing up critical files.

I didnt know anything about it so I knew that the installation process would be hard. When I got xfce to work I felt so cool, and since Im 35 years old, thats not a feeling I get to have to often.

If it was easy do you think you'd have that same sense of accomplishment?

However that feeling is lost now, since none of the browsers seem to work.

I don't use or care for any of the browsers you mention, and I hate to recommend it, but to help, I'd give www/palemoon a try.

I use www/seamonkey on some of my machines.

I second www/seamonkey as a browser.
It keeps the good old Mosaic/Netscape look with the modern gecko engine.
The overhead of a html composer and email client is surprisingly low.
seamonkey is built from volunteers and not really a mozilla foundation project.
So I like to think it is build with better intentions.

Wiping out your system might be overkill, I dunno about disappearing desktop image. I prefer solid color.

You got something misconfigured, all browsers you've mentioned (except opera, don't use it, it is outdated), works fine for me (chromium has some issues, but it is still usable).
tjjmgMH.png

I'm learning FreeBSD after being a Debian user for a long time. When learning a new system it's always good to have a quick way to restore it. There's lots of options for FreeBSD, flash drive backups, ZFS restores, install scripts. When I'm running around the system as root it's easy to blow it up. I can put it back pretty quick if and when that happens.

It can be easy to misconfigure something with the complexity of Unix systems and depending on your skill level it can be hard to track down. Honestly I don't think I could do any of this stuff without the internet. I've had to look stuff up quite a bit in learning this system.

I've not had any issue in getting browsers available through pkg running on FreeBSD, however performance can vary a lot. For the OP, it sounds like you've got a configuration issue. You're going to have to roll up your sleeves and start checking things. Logs are usually the best place to start.

One thing that tripped me up is you need to have the dbus service running. Check you have the line dbus_enable="YES" in your rc.conf file.

Staffman Mattson,
I just drop by to say that a couple of years ago, when I last tested it, Opera port had serious problems, however updates have occured meanwhile, so can't speak about the current status of the project.

Chromium's port showed some instability ~6 months ago, but nothing as serious as runtime errors and problem was fixed anyway (see related thread ;))

Aside this, no issue other browser-related issue has been reported lately. I can tell you which browsers do work perfectly for me:

- firefox

- qupzilla

- qutebrowser

- dillo

There are other examples of browsers which users reported working well lately:

- midori

- seamonkey

- palemoon

- firefox-esr

- iridium

Keep trying hard if you enjoy FreeBSD, there must be some local problem with your system, some missing dependency/shared-library, some version/compile-options mismatch

Best whishes

when I last tested it, Opera port had serious problems, however updates have occured meanwhile, so can't speak about the current status of the project.

Oh yeah, forget about Opera. I got it running but it was having big problems, not useable. Firefox 58 on the other hand runs wonderfully for me. Everything else runs, some poorly, others well.

Another thing is you should be running 11.1 release. Even 11.1 stable has problems. I tried 11.1 stable and my X server would not start up. Maybe at some point I'll get involved in that kind of release testing, but if you just want to build a system that works use the release version.

Note that STABLE isn't really stable. :) RELEASE is the version you probably want.

See http://srobb.net/release.html

It's an old article, written by Fred Cash, and explains the differences. Even though it refers to very old versions by now, the information on naming is still correct.

First of all: Sorry, didnt mean to offend you with saying most people run freebsd for fun, I have no idea as to why poeple run freebsd. So with that out of the way, lets move on... :)

Thanks for the idea Phishfry, as you said I did install it for fun, but even if you play a video game for fun, it feels a bit boring to have to start from the beginning again. I was actually thinking about doing this, but then I wrote "freebsd-version" in my console and it said RELEASE. I was hoping it would say STABLE with the above discussion in mind. Then a reinstall might had solved it. (The bsdinfo command in ILUXAs picture didnt work at all. (At least not outside xfce)

Trihexagonal: I did try the palemoon browser, but got segementation fault.

Craig Hb: Thanx for the support! Yes this would be impossible without Internet! I think I have activated the dbus, since I had problem with it earlier. Im at work now, so I cannot check now thogh.

All: Im totaly convinced this has to do with me and not the browser packages, so you dont have to try and convince me about that :)

One thing worth mention though, is that during install I installed Xfcde before xorg. I dint know that the Handbook was linear in the first place, so I jumped to xfce because thats what I wanted to install, and then realised my mistake. (This was incompetence and not laziness, just sayin...)

But despite that I got xfce to start later, so that makes me wonder if that really was the problem. I dont think I have a spelling error, because everythine I wanted to do in every config file works now.
I can even attach an usb stick with all users and remove it. xfce will detect it.. Zdoom doesnt work either, but I havent run it from a console to see that it says.

It probably really is a good idea to reinstall, now that you know a few things about it. Who knows what went wrong in the first place, and you'll probably never find out. The fact is that in most cases FreeBSD is actually a pretty quick install. Just remember that the first thing towards a GUI is to install X followed by Xfce, or whatever your choice is. Then go on and "pkg install firefox" or whatever other programs you like.

Edit to add, I use FreeBSD as my main desktop system and have for some years now. As you can see from your experience so far, FreeBSD is amazing in how solid it is - even with something really badly wrong as whatever you managed to do, you still can't keep it down.

All: Im totaly convinced this has to do with me and not the browser packages, so you dont have to try and convince me about that :)

I like doing things in an orderly manner and have a pretty standard routine of in what order I build my 3rd party programs since I always use the same ones. I do build x11/xorg close to the start, and before I start building anything for the desktop.

If you're going to rebuild, and that probably is your best option, I have a tutorial that outlines how I set up my boxen. It uses ports, but you can substitute using pkg instead and save a lot of time. I use x11-wm/fluxbox, but you should be able to build the DE or WM of your choice if you follow my outline to that point.

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...-set-up-a-freebsd-desktop-from-scratch.61659/

One thing worth mention though, is that during install I installed Xfcde before xorg. I dint know that the Handbook was linear in the first place, so I jumped to xfce because thats what I wanted to install, and then realised my mistake. (This was incompetence and not laziness, just sayin...)

It seems FreeBSD is pretty smart about dependencies so even if you install things in a sort of backward way, FreeBSD will figure it out. There may be one or two that slip through the cracks, I had one instance of that. Something to avoid since it can result in some needless troubleshooting.

One thing I've found is the FreeBSD pkg system seems to do better with dependancies when you break things out into groups. In other words, use more than one pkg command in logical order rather than putting all the desired packages in a single "pkg install" statement. Probably not something you'd do installing by hand, but I use a script and it gave me some trouble when I did that.

FreeBSD is used for all kinds of applications and that's actually a part of the FreeBSD mission statement, to provide an operating system for a variety of uses. I only use it on a personal level myself as a desktop system so I'm a hobbyist rather than a professional. In that case I guess I could say I use if for fun, but more specifically to use a system that's more flexible and powerful compared to other systems out there, free or commercial.

Thanks Everyone! I have decided to go on to do a reinstall. I hope I can get it done again.
If you dont hear from me again you know what happend.
I send a couple of thanks to you guys, if this is the last time I see you on the forum.
If the community wasnt great it would'nt be worth it to try this a second time. Take the honour guys :)

PS
The Swedish Defence apperantly runs freeBSD on its firewalls.
https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Färist_(brandvägg)

2. Opera for systems like BSD derivatives and Linux is at the stage of 12, when Opera had its own rendering engine called Presto. Since then, Opera has adopted a Chromium philosophy, and basically is the same as Chrome.

However, Opera 12 still works. If you make the right settings it will allow you to browse the web. First course is disabling automated redirections. By the way, as far as user control, Opera 12 remains the most controllable browser in the history of browsers. And their mail client is older than Outlook, so take a moment to reflect on that. Still at version 1.0, still unsurpassed.

The problem is that the mail client, as well as the browser (which are integrated in "12") do not comply with new CAs and IMAP 2 factor verification. But, there's still 2-step verification, i.e. application passwords (which Yahoo! is openly against for their own reasons), and for the browser, it's just a matter of certificate imports.

As far as Chrome(ium) goes, that seems to need hald and dbus.

As far as Firefox goes, that's your ultimate browser. Older than Opera and IE combined E+100000. Tabs crash, that's a reality. First meal of the day, update your add-ons.

Heja, Sverige! Alt for Norge!

I've been using Firefox 58 for a bit now on FreeBSD and it's working really well. Have not had tabs crash on me. I did at first when I was playing around with settings but it seems solid now. They've made some big changes and I think they really nailed it on this one. I'm actually surprised because I never really liked Firefox until now.

I've been using Firefox 58 for a bit now on FreeBSD and it's working really well. Have not had tabs crash on me. I did at first when I was playing around with settings but it seems solid now. They've made some big changes and I think they really nailed it on this one. I'm actually surprised because I never really liked Firefox until now.

Version 58.0.2 now has "Density" menu option in the interface customization mode.

I noticed that the Netsurf browser wasn't listed in the thread so far. Sometimes it'll run when everything else won't, because (I think) it's generally statically compiled (although it may not be in our ports tree), and it's smaller than some of the other browsers.

No javascript in it tho ...

Hope you have better success on your reinstall of the OS.

I have now started my reinstall. This time I've selected the wireless card during installation and he set it up perfectly! No jiggling around with wpa_supplicant this time, as the Internet worked from the start! I Also selected some services like powerd, since I also knew what it meant now, and they automaticly showed up in my rc. conf! So my laptop doesnt become hot.

Freebsd gave a much better and easier impression this time :)

I still havent decided what windowmanager to use. Im thinking about giving xfce another go, but Im also thinking about jwm as it only have one config file and therefore much easier to fault seek.

I was also thinking about reinstall a third time, and select zfs as my file system. If I understand the handbook correctly I can then take snapshot of my laptop filesystem if I do something stupid again. Is this sytem practical on a laptop?

I thought it was meant for big servers so I selected ufs or whatever the usual one was called..

I still havent decided what windowmanager to use. Im thinking about giving xfce another go, but Im also thinking about jwm as it only have one config file and therefore much easier to fault seek.

x11-wm/fluxbox is easy to configure and there is no fault seeking to be done as far as I know. I have 3 styles available you're welcome to but only use one myself, 8ball. It's black&white but if you set Force Pseudo-Transparancy to 155 the bg colors of a wallpaper will show through. It's much easier than I have a way of making things sound. :)

I think they recommend 8GB RAM for ZFS but I did run it on one with 4GB when I tried TrueOS.

Back