Noob (PF) Question

Hi

I'm using FreeBSD 8.1 with 2 NIC cards (fxp0 and fxp1).
Packet Filter as a Firewall

The network setup:
Code:
InternetCloud +-----+fxp0 [FreeBSD Gateway] fxp1+-----+CiscoRouter+-----+CiscoSwitch+-----SSHServer
Now does this rule pass the packet from fxp0 to fxp1?
Code:
ext_if="fxp0"
int_if="fxp1"
ext_ssh_ports="2222"

pass in inet proto tcp on $int_if \
        from $ext_if to $int_if:network port $ext_ssh_ports keep state

And after the above rule do I need another rule to pass the packet from fxp1 to CiscoRouter?

Thanks
Mark

You need to add rule:
Code:
pass in on $ext_if inet proto tcp from any to $ext_if port $ext_ssh_ports

Both rules are wrong.

Code:
pass in on $ext_if inet proto tcp from any to $int_if:network port $ext_ssh_ports keep state

SirDice, thanks for your reply.

your rule,
Code:
pass in on $ext_if inet proto tcp from any to $int_if:network port $ext_ssh_ports keep state
passes packets from $ext_if to $int_if (Am I right?), so do I need another rule to pass out those packets from $int_if to my CiscoRouter?

--
Mark

The rule allows traffic from everywhere destined to the network of $int_if. So if it's IP address is something like 192.168.1.12; netmask 255.255.255.0, the rule will become something like:
Code:
from any to 192.168.1.0/24

If the IP address of the Cisco router falls in that range (it probably does) you can connect to that too.

There's no need to specify rules going back out the router. They are implied. You can turn off those implied rules but that will only make things more complicated. Complicated usually means that mistakes are made quite easily too.

Hello,

There is no need to add keep state in the end of the given rule by SirDice because by defaults PF keep states in your FreeBSD version.

markfisher said:

your rule,
Code:
passes packets from $ext_if to $int_if (Am I right?)
More precisely, it passes packets incoming from the ext_if interface to the network addresses owned by the interface int_if.

so do I need another rule to pass out those packets from $int_if to my CiscoRouter?

I don't know if the PF default policy is to pass or block packet. Anyway it is a good idea to block all by default.

Code:
# default
block all
... other rules ...

So in this case, yes you need a rule to allow the packet to go out.

Thank you all for the help

so
Code:
int_if = "fxp1"
ext_if = "fxp0"
$ext_ssh_ports = "2222"
$ssh_server = "192.168.1.23"

block all
pass out on $int_if proto tcp from any to $ssh_server port 22
would pass the packet from $ext_if to $int_if and then passes that packet from $int_if to $ssh_server, Am I right?

Now
Code:
pass in on $ext_if inet proto tcp from $ext_if to $int_if port $ext_ssh_ports
Should just pass the packet from $ext_if to $int_if (NOT $int_if network), Am I right?

Thanks again

markfisher said:
Code:
int_if = "fxp1"
ext_if = "fxp0"
$ext_ssh_ports = "2222"
$ssh_server = "192.168.1.23"

block all
pass out on $int_if proto tcp from any to $ssh_server port 22
The last rule isn't needed. You'll only need it if you ssh from this box to $ssh_server. You don't need it for data coming in on $ext_if to $ssh_server.

Now
Code:
pass in on $ext_if inet proto tcp from $ext_if to $int_if port $ext_ssh_ports

Should just pass the packet from $ext_if to $int_if (NOT $int_if network), Am I right?
Stop thinking about passing data from one interface to another. It just doesn't work that way.

Data comes in on $ext_if with the source address 'any' destined for $ssh_server. Which translates to something like:
Code:
pass in on $ext_if proto tcp from any to $ssh_server port 22 keep state

How or where this traffic gets sent, which interfaces it uses etc. is all completely irrelevant with regards to PF.

another question, if I want to redirect and port forwarding on SSH, is this rule okay?
Code:
int_if = "fxp1"
ext_if = "fxp0"
ext_ssh_ports = "2222"
ssh_server = "192.168.1.23"

block all
pass in on $ext_if inet proto tcp from any to $int_if:network port $ext_ssh_ports \ 
                               rdr-to $ssh_server port 22 keep state

Thanks

This syntax is from latest versions of pf available in OpenBSD 4.6 4.7 4.8. I don't know if this apply to FreeBSD pf version.

From what i remember, appropriate syntax would be something like that.

Code:
int_if = "fxp1"
ext_if = "fxp0"
ext_ssh_ports = "2222"

rdr on $ext_if inet proto tcp from any to $ext_if port $ext_ssh_ports -> $ssh_server port 22

block all
pass in on $ext_if inet proto tcp from any to $ssh_server port 22

And probably

Code:
pass out on $int_if inet proto tcp from any to $ssh_server port 22

I don't see any nat rules in your pf.conf file. Don't you need it ? Is your external adresse public or private ?

kisscool-fr said:
This syntax is from latest versions of pf available in OpenBSD 4.6 4.7 4.8. I don't know if this apply to FreeBSD pf version.
Good point! Hadn't realized that :r

From what i remember, appropriate syntax would be something like that.

Code:
int_if = "fxp1"
ext_if = "fxp0"
ext_ssh_ports = "2222"

rdr on $ext_if inet proto tcp from any to $ext_if port $ext_ssh_ports -> $ssh_server port 22

block all
Spot on!

And probably
Code:
Not needed as it is implied by the first pass rule.

SirDice said:
Not needed as it is implied by the first pass rule.

Pf has a per interface packet inspection, so there need to be per interface rule for each packet, so is only implied the state for a packet on the specified interface (here $ext_if). Every thing else is blocked by 'block all' rule.

What will happen, packets will pass the external if (pass in on $ext_if ...) but not the internal if (because of block all).

I usually write rules with 'quick' keyword, may be my interpretation is specific to this.

Nevertheless, markfisher you could try without and/or with the 'pass out on $int_if ...' to see what works and what don't. :)

kisscool-fr said:
Pf has a per interface packet inspection,
Yes, but it's turned off by default. See pf.conf(5):
set state-policy
The state-policy option sets the default behaviour for states:
  • if-bound States are bound to interface.
  • floating States can match packets on any interfaces (the default).

And I advise to keep it off, it'll only make the rule set more complex. That's good if you need it but most of the time you don't. It's certainly not needed with a relatively 'simple' set up like this.

Ah, don't know this option and never changed it but I always had to write rules for each interface a packet passes through (in OpenBSD and FreeBSD too).

Maybe i skipped something interesting, I will look at that. Thanks :)

Thank you all for the help.

SirDice and kisscool-fr, I'm using if-bound instead of floating, so I believe kisscool-fr is right, I need a rule for each interface.

Again thank you all

Sorry for double post.

Question: Since im using if-bound my rules should be
Code:
int_if = "fxp1"
ext_if = "fxp0"
ext_ssh_ports = "2222"

block all
kisscool-fr mentioned.

Now here is the question: connecting from outside to my SSH box, does port 22 and 2222 both works or only 2222?
The way that I'm seeing these rules, if I try to connect from outside to my SSH box using port "22" (NOT 2222), this rule won't do anything:
Code:
and these two rules
Code:
passes. Am I right? If I am, how can I fix it to only uses port 2222, and redirect it to 22 internally?

Thanks

With this simple ruleset, only the port 2222 is open (from the external point of view) and is redirected (by pf's internat mechanism) to your ssh_server on port 22.

The two pass rules allow traffic to go to your ssh_server but not to your FreeBSD box.

Back