Non-default versions in make.conf

Do you use non-default versions. Please explain.

Here mine,
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=php=7.4
Yep some php stuff does not work yet with 8.0

DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=mysql=10.6m
I consider mariadb superior. Upgrading gives less problems,it's also compatible.

DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=llvm=13
95% of all programs compile just fine with this very newer llvm

DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=gcc=11
I could bump gcc one version.

DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=openssl
Base is too conservative.

DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=java=11

Last edited:
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=php=7.4
Yep some php stuff does not work yet with 8.0
Same here.
Code:
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=mysql=10.6m
Have 10.5m, need to plan some upgrades.

Additionally, samba=4.12 java=11. Samba was pinned at some point because I had issues, can't remember what it was though. Java 11 was required, have a few Java based applications (Jenkins, Puppetserver, Puppetdb) and they started nagging about Java 8.

Mine is DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= ssl=libressl samba=4.13.

I simply want the latest samba version available, and as for ssl, I'm not necessarily convinced that libressl is the better code, but I think diversity increases security (with a monoculture, any system out there will immediately be affected by a published exploit).

edit: I'm not sure for how long I can keep it that way, I'm unfortunately already forced to maintain a few libressl-related fixes in my "local" ports branch (see my github repo).

I disabled DBD on www/apache24 and devel/apr1, don't need the functionality, so no need for the dependency.

Thanks, Sir Dice. In fact, I don't know how much, if any, DBD improves performance.

I read an article (I couldn't find it anymore) that criticizes the amount of modules in a standard apache installation. For the most part, without us knowing what the module does or what it affects.

Back