NomadBSD and ghostbsd, which one is better?

NomadBSD has an installer too, although has no updater yet (it is still in development). The main purpose for now is its portability, hardware test & software demo capability, and an ability to “try before buy”.

NomadBSD consists of 3 parts:
  1. FreeBSD base system
  2. 3rd Party packages (built from FreeBSD’s ports tree)
  3. NomadBSD-specific tools and configuration
Each part is upgraded by another tool:
  1. Base: freebsd-update
  2. Packages: pkg or Octopkg
  3. NomadBSD: Our updater which is not yet finished
To get a new NomadBSD version you need to write the new image to the USB drive and (re-)install on your harddrive.

i tried GhostBSD
but it doesnt support zfs full disk encryption last time i checked

so not much good from a security point of view on a laptop

thats why i use Freebsd

also the desktop is really ugly
and all the icons in the status bar are massive

NomadBSD has an installer too, although has no updater yet (it is still in development). The main purpose for now is its portability, test & demo capability, and an ability to “try before buy”.
Not found this. At least, they don't advertise about that. Had some difficulties to install it in a VirtualBox VM. I saw some problems I don't want to dig: sometimes doesn't get ip address from dhcp, not recalling the setting parameters (screen resolution).

Handbook: Installing NomadBSD on a hard disk
Start main menu → System → NomadBSD Installer and follow the instructions.
Well... If you don't know, you don't find that. I won't try this, too complicated. GhostBSD is simpler.
Anyway, that's not the aim of NomadBSD.
And, by the way, the poweroff doesn't work in efi within virtualbox as most of FreeBSD derivatives.

i tried GhostBSD
but it doesnt support zfs full disk encryption last time i checked

so not much good from a security point of view on a laptop

thats why i use Freebsd

also the desktop is really ugly
and all the icons in the status bar are massive
well mate is not ugly at all as you said. a ready to use DE. the issue about icons i dont have is on ghostbsd. GhostBSD is way better than nomadbsd for home usage.

Seeing your requirements

for office work

for more hardware

for more stable with destop status
I think GhostBSD is the better choice for what you want. It installs a working desktop, (looks like Gnome or Mate to me) and is meant to be installed on hard disk. As has been said, it seems the purpose of Nomad is more to be a portable FreeBSD system.
Regardless, it doesn't take that long to install it, so why not just try it and see?

Changing the chipset in virtualbox to ICH9 has worked for me.
It's not the first time that someone advises this to properly poweroff a FreeBSD VM under VirtualBox. And, as before, this doesn't work for me (maybe because I run VirtualBox under Windows?).

The thing that works for me is: hw.efi.poweroff=0 in /etc/sysctl.conf.

Back