no x :(

Hey guys,

Perpetual noob here.
I'm still trying to setup that elusive Free-BSD desktop. So I installed 7.2. I installed it on a intel dual core with nVidia 7600GT and on a pentium 4 with ATI video card. On both systems I installed the packages under X user and gnome. On both I can login but no X. I followed the instructions from this document document and when I reboot gdm does not start. If I type startx i get an error message that states that an application that uses dbus has a bug, probably gdm.
Right now I gave up on the dual core but the pentium 4 is still hanging. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Corneliu

PS: I succesfully installed FreeBSD 7.1 with Gnome on the dual core machine before.

Put gnome_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf and "exec gnome-session" (without the quotes) in ~/.xinitrc and you should be good to go with Gnome. You won't need that latter to start gdm, but it is useful if you want to start Gnome without gdm. gnome_enable will start hal, dbus, and various avahi daemons. Installing the nVidia driver is another issue, but get these to work first.

See also the FAQ at http://www.freebsd.org/gnome for issues like mounting CDs and DVDs automatically.

Thanks Dr. J, I have mentioned in my first post that I already did all that. Still Gnome does not start.

According to the document that I mentioned in my first post, the command should be:
% echo "/usr/local/bin/gnome-session" > ~/.xinitrc
so I tried that and I also tried
exec gnome-session
and I got the same error message

I'm sorry, I haven't read your post carefully. Now I've seen that it is gnome_enable="YES" instead of gdm_enable="YES". I replaced gdm_enable="YES" with gnome_enable="YES" and it works. That official tutorial got it wrong. It should be fixed there because it is misleading. Many thanks mate.

Cheers.
Corneliu

The original document is fine, it notes how to start GDM.

If you look at the GNOME faq it mentions that gnome_enable is actually all these:
Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
avahi_enable="YES"
gdm_enable="YES"

I always wonder if a user install GNOME or KDE do all files reside in its own folder and that the system itself will not include any additional PERMANENT setting in the FreeBSD interface or kernel what-so-ever (like adding junk inside system files all over the place, monitoring everything you do like the Windows with all of it tricky ways).

Are you saying simply enabling these four 4 variables will make GNOME run on it on merit, using only the tmp and swap partitions including a few syscalls to get it job done ... and if I don't need it no more all I got to do is comment out these few lines, than re-boot to go back down to rawBSD in a flash, with no left-over included.

If so that's what I call a true OS and my fear will be a GNOME-ner. Sorry for the interrupt no x but I'm just beginning to really see forest beyond the trees.

dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
avahi_enable="YES"
gdm_enable="YES"

A power user (root/suer/sudoer) installs GNOME, KDE or whatever.

User settings are usually created on the program's first use by the user in his/her home directory as "hidden" files beginning with a "." (dot).

Usually ports also include default settings in a system location to be used in case the settings file or directory is missing from the user's home directory, or to be used as a template for such a file or directory.

Any file installed will be removed on deinstallation (any file outside the user's home directory, obviously).

Commenting startup settings out will only disable things at system startup. It will not uninstall ports magically.

Thank Beastie, now I think I got an idea of what's going on. So each program should have a un-installer which may not always be true for all ports (programs) on this platform. As far as the port system itself where the main file resides I would not expect that to be removed. Only the un-compressed installed files and such. So I guest there will be files spread out-side of an installed program folder other than a few initiation of a few variable in a conf/rc file. So it's our responsibility to know where everything has been placed. Perfect. Nothing hidden from the user that he/she can't find and turn of or delete. It sounds like I right. Nothing actually integrate into the system so deep that its not easy to find and remove.

Don't get me wrong I mainly don't like MS products. I like MS Windows, but it reserve stuff forever for the sake of Office etc, which is a big bug/trap/spy/ on the watch out for other Word processors like WordPerfect etc which cause all kind of problems for user. I have plenty of examples.

Back to FreeBSD! Unix is not Windows but getting close. But we need the ports system. I just hope they make it to keep it distance while they got the chance. But as you say being an power user is the key.

Thanks again

iic2 said:
So each program should have a un-installer which may not always be true for all ports (programs) on this platform.
No, everything that's installed using ports or packages is removable using pkg_delete (or if you have portupgrade installed; pkg_deinstall).

As far as the port system itself where the main file resides I would not expect that to be removed.
Files in /usr/ports/distfiles and /usr/ports/packages will not be removed by a pkg_delete.

So I guest there will be files spread out-side of an installed program folder other than a few initiation of a few variable in a conf/rc file.
Ports/packages may not remove altered config files, pkg_delete will complain about that.

Nothing hidden from the user that he/she can't find and turn of or delete.
That's the idea..

Nothing actually integrate into the system so deep that its not easy to find and remove.
Correct, to make life even simpler no port or package will install anything in / (like /etc or /bin, /usr/bin etc). All ports/packages must install with prefix /usr/local.

But we need the ports system. I just hope they make it to keep it distance while they got the chance. But as you say being an power user is the key.
I've been using Freebsd since version 3.1 (or something like it). The ports system is what got me hooked on fbsd.

What's marvelous with many *nix systems, and precisely FreeBSD is that the whole port/package installation, management and uninstallation is simple and centralized.
The uninstallation for EVERY port is as simple as # pkg_delete <port_name>.

The port system doesn't make reckless changes to the system conf/rc files since these are used by the base system and are only overridden by what YOU manually add to them.

Files are created according to rules contained in the port and are removed according to the same rules when you uninstall the port.
It's good to know where each file is stored when the port is installed, but it's not indispensable.
Under Windows it's important to track every single move of a "setup file", because you never know if it'll remove everything when you uninstall it. Under FreeBSD, no additional file will be created unless you created it yourself and no trash will be left because the uninstallation process removes everything the port originally installed. The only exception is, as I already said, the dot files in the user's home directory (or files in the /tmp partitions of course).

No port integrates AT ALL in the system. Even the biggest and most complex ones, such as the Xorg server let's say, can be removed as easily as, say, a sudoku game or an mp3 decoding library.

I don't fully understand what you mean by that, but Unix is not getting close to Windows, not by light years, and it's not even trying to.
You should understand one thing: vanilla FreeBSD is primarily a server operating system. Period! Building a desktop system on top of it and customizing it for such a use, is only an option that proves it can easily be extended.

I think OP's problem was solved somewhere along the way .. don't get carried away ;)

DutchDaemon said:
I think OP's problem was solved somewhere along the way
Well, sort of...
OK, I see Gnome but the mouse shows busy forever and I can't open the Applications menu in gnome. I can't run any applications. I go to Places and I click on Home Folder and I get "Cannot open location 'file://home/corneliu' No application is registered as handling this file"
Under System I can open Preferences > Authorizations and Preferences > Startup Applications, About GNOME.
I can add applets to the panel.
I can see the calendar when I click on the clock.
I also noticed that the windows have no title bar.
Logout works.
That's about all I can do in Gnome.
Should I open another thread?

Thanks in advance,

Corneliu

Looks like not everything got installed properly. Can you post an output of pkg_info?

SirDice said:
Can you post an output of pkg_info?
I would love to but it is not that easy :)
As you know Gnome is useless ATM. So I got just the console working here. I put the output of that command in a text file and I need to transfer it to my other computer. So I plugged the USB key in and I believe it is mounted but I can't figure out where hald has mounted it. I tried df but it shows only the local partitions.

Does the Gnome box have an IP address, and is it in the same network as your other computer? If so, run [cmd=]/etc/rc.d/sshd forcestart[/cmd] on the Gnome box and ssh into it from the other box.

corneliu said:
So I plugged the USB key in and I believe it is mounted but I can't figure out where hald has mounted it. I tried df but it shows only the local partitions.
Hald doesn't mount anything. It's nautilus (for GNOME) that does the actual mounting. Hald only detects and signals something's changed.

You can always review what's mounted with $ mount.

Another way to transfer files is by using scp. If the other machine is windows I highly recommend WinSCP and PuTTY.

I split it in five parts because the forum limits the size of the posts.

Part 1:
Code:
ORBit2-2.14.17      High-performance CORBA ORB with support for the C language                                                                
appres-1.0.1        Program to list application's resources                                                                                   
atk-1.26.0          A GNOME accessibility toolkit (ATK)                                                                                       
avahi-app-0.6.25_1  Service discovery on a local network                                                                                      
bash-4.0.24         The GNU Project's Bourne Again SHell                                                                                      
bitmap-1.0.3_1      Bitmap editor and converter utilities for X                                                                               
bitstream-vera-1.10_4 Bitstream Vera TrueType font collection                                                                                 
cairo-1.8.6_1,1     Vector graphics library with cross-device output support                                                                  
cdparanoia-3.9.8_8  A CDDA extraction tool (also known as ripper)                                                                             
compositeproto-0.4  Composite extension headers                                                                                               
consolekit-0.3.0_8  Framework for defining and tracking users                                                                                 
damageproto-1.1.0_2 Damage extension headers                                                                                                  
db41-4.1.25_4       The Berkeley DB package, revision 4.1                                                                                     
dbus-1.2.4.6        A message bus system for inter-application communication                                                                  
dbus-glib-0.80      GLib bindings for the D-BUS messaging system                                                                              
dmidecode-2.10      A tool for dumping DMI (SMBIOS) contents in human-readable                                                                
dmxproto-2.2.2      DMX extension headers                                                                                                     
docbook-1.4         Meta-port for the different versions of the DocBook DTD                                                                   
docbook-4.1_3       V4.1 of the DocBook DTD, designed for technical documentati                                                               
docbook-4.2         V4.2 of the DocBook DTD, designed for technical documentati                                                               
docbook-4.3         DocBook/SGML DTD V4.3, designed for technical documentation                                                               
docbook-4.4_2       DocBook/SGML DTD V4.4, designed for technical documentation                                                               
docbook-4.5_2       DocBook/SGML DTD V4.5, designed for technical documentation                                                               
docbook-5.0_1       DocBook 5.0, designed for technical documentation                                                                         
docbook-sk-4.1.2_4  XML version of the DocBook DTD version controlled for Scrol                                                               
docbook-xml-4.2_1   XML version of the DocBook DTD                                                                                            
docbook-xml-4.3     DocBook/XML DTD V4.3, designed for technical documentation                                                                
docbook-xml-4.4_1   DocBook/XML DTD V4.4, designed for technical documentation                                                                
docbook-xml-4.5     DocBook/XML DTD V4.5, designed for technical documentation                                                                
docbook-xsl-1.74.0_1 XSL DocBook stylesheets                                                                                                  
dri-7.4.2_1,2       OpenGL hardware acceleration drivers for the DRI                                                                          
dri2proto-2.0       DRI2 prototype headers                                                                                                    
encodings-1.0.2,1   X.Org Encoding fonts                                                                                                      
esound-0.2.41       A sound library for enlightenment package                                                                                 
evolution-data-server-2.26.0 The data backends for the Evolution integrated mail/PIM sui                                                      
expat-2.0.1         XML 1.0 parser written in C                                                                                               
fftw3-3.1.3         Fast C routines to compute the Discrete Fourier Transform                                                                 
fixesproto-4.0      Fixes extension headers                                                                                                   
flac-1.2.1          Free lossless audio codec                                                                                                 
font-adobe-100dpi-1.0.0_1 X.Org Adobe 100dpi font                                                                                             
font-adobe-75dpi-1.0.0 X.Org Adobe 75dpi font                                                                                                 
font-adobe-utopia-100dpi-1.0.1 X.Org Adobe Utopia 100dpi font                                                                                 
font-adobe-utopia-75dpi-1.0.1 X.Org Adobe Utopia 75dpi font                                                                                   
font-adobe-utopia-type1-1.0.1 X.Org Adobe Utopia Type1 font                                                                                   
font-alias-1.0.1    X.Org Font aliases                                                                                                        
font-arabic-misc-1.0.0 X.Org miscellaneous Arabic fonts                                                                                       
font-bh-100dpi-1.0.0 X.Org Bigelow Holmes 100dpi font                                                                                         
font-bh-75dpi-1.0.0 X.Org Bigelow Holmes 75dpi font                                                                                           
font-bh-lucidatypewriter-100dpi-1.0.0 X.Org Bigelow Holmes Lucida TypeWriter 100dpi font                                                      
font-bh-lucidatypewriter-75dpi-1.0.0 X.Org Bigelow Holmes Lucida TypeWriter 75dpi font                                                        
font-bh-ttf-1.0.0   X.Org Bigelow & Holmes TTF font                                                                                           
font-bh-type1-1.0.0 X.Org Bigelow Holmes Type1 font                                                                                           
font-bitstream-100dpi-1.0.0 X.Org Bitstream Vera 100dpi font                                                                                  
font-bitstream-75dpi-1.0.0 X.Org Bitstream Vera 75dpi font                                                                                    
font-bitstream-type1-1.0.0 X.Org Bitstream Vera Type1 font                                                                                    
font-cronyx-cyrillic-1.0.0 X.Org Cronyx Cyrillic font                                                                                         
font-cursor-misc-1.0.0 X.Org miscellaneous Cursor fonts                                                                                       
font-daewoo-misc-1.0.0 X.Org miscellaneous Daewoo fonts                                                                                       
font-dec-misc-1.0.0 X.Org miscellaneous Dec fonts                                                                                             
font-ibm-type1-1.0.0 X.Org IBM Type1 font                                                                                                     
font-isas-misc-1.0.0 X.Org miscellaneous ISAS fonts                                                                                           
font-jis-misc-1.0.0 X.Org miscellaneous JIS fonts                                                                                             
font-micro-misc-1.0.0 X.Org miscellaneous Micro fonts                                                                                         
font-misc-cyrillic-1.0.0 X.Org miscellaneous Cyrillic font                                                                                    
font-misc-ethiopic-1.0.0 X.Org miscellaneous Ethiopic font

Part 2:
Code:
font-misc-meltho-1.0.0_1 X.Org miscellaneous Meltho font                                                                                      
font-misc-misc-1.0.0 X.Org miscellaneous Misc fonts                                                                                           
font-mutt-misc-1.0.0 X.Org miscellaneous Mutt fonts                                                                                           
font-schumacher-misc-1.0.0_1 X.Org miscellaneous Schumacher fonts                                                                             
font-screen-cyrillic-1.0.1 X.Org Screen Cyrillic font                                                                                         
font-sony-misc-1.0.0 X.Org miscellaneous Sony fonts                                                                                           
font-sun-misc-1.0.0 X.Org miscellaneous Sun fonts                                                                                             
font-util-1.0.1     Create an index of X font files in a directory                                                                            
font-winitzki-cyrillic-1.0.0 X.Org Winitzki Cyrillic font                                                                                     
font-xfree86-type1-1.0.1 X.Org XFree86 Type1 font                                                                                             
fontcacheproto-0.1.2 Fontcache extension headers                                                                                              
fontconfig-2.6.0,1  An XML-based font configuration API for X Windows                                                                         
fontsproto-2.0.2    Fonts extension headers                                                                                                   
freetype2-2.3.9_1   A free and portable TrueType font rendering engine                                                                        
fusefs-kmod-0.3.9.p1.20080208_5 Kernel module for fuse                                                                                        
fusefs-libs-2.7.4   FUSE allows filesystem implementation in userspace                                                                        
gamin-0.1.10_3      A file and directory monitoring system                                                                                    
gconf2-2.26.2       A configuration database system for GNOME                                                                                 
gdbm-1.8.3_3        The GNU database manager                                                                                                  
gdm-2.26.0_1        GNOME 2 version of xdm display manager                                                                                    
getopt-1.1.4_1      A getopt(1) replacement that supports GNU-style long option                                                               
gettext-0.17_1      GNU gettext package                                                                                                       
gio-fam-backend-2.20.3 FAM backend for GLib's GIO library                                                                                     
glib-2.20.3         Some useful routines of C programming (current stable versi                                                               
gnome-desktop-2.26.2_1 Additional UI API for GNOME 2                                                                                          
gnome-doc-utils-0.16.1_1 GNOME doc utils                                                                                                      
gnome-icon-theme-2.26.0_1 A collection of icons for the GNOME 2 desktop                                                                       
gnome-keyring-2.26.1_1 A program that keeps passwords and other secrets                                                                       
gnome-menus-2.26.0  Implementation of the FreeDesktop Desktop Menu Spec                                                                       
gnome-mime-data-2.18.0_3 A MIME and Application database for GNOME                                                                            
gnome-mount-0.8_2   A front-end to mount, umount, and eject using HAL                                                                         
gnome-panel-2.26.0  Panel component for the GNOME 2 Desktop                                                                                   
gnome-session-2.26.0 Session component for the GNOME 2 desktop                                                                                
gnome-settings-daemon-2.26.0 GNOME 2 settings daemon                                                                                          
gnome-vfs-2.24.1    GNOME Virtual File System                                                                                                 
gnome_subr-1.0      Common startup and shutdown subroutines used by GNOME scrip                                                               
gnomehier-2.3_12    A utility port that creates the GNOME directory tree                                                                      
gnutls-2.6.5        GNU Transport Layer Security library                                                                                      
gstreamer-0.10.22_1 Development framework for creating media applications                                                                     
gstreamer-plugins-0.10.22_1,3 GStreamer written collection of plugins handling several me                                                     
gstreamer-plugins-good-0.10.14,3 Good gstreamer-plugins                                                                                       
gtk-2.16.2          Gimp Toolkit for X11 GUI (current stable version)                                                                         
gtk-engines2-2.18.0 Theme engine for the GTK+-2.0 toolkit                                                                                     
gvfs-1.2.3          GNOME virtual file system                                                                                                 
hal-0.5.11_25       Hardware Abstraction Layer for simplifying device access                                                                  
hicolor-icon-theme-0.10_2 A high-color icon theme shell from the FreeDesktop project                                                          
iceauth-1.0.2       ICE authority file utility for X                                                                                          
inputproto-1.5.0    Input extension headers                                                                                                   
iso-codes-3.8       Lists of the country, language and currency iso names                                                                     
iso8879-1986_2      Character entity sets from ISO 8879:1986 (SGML)                                                                           
jasper-1.900.1_7    An implementation of the codec specified in the JPEG-2000 s                                                               
jpeg-6b_7           IJG's jpeg compression utilities                                                                                          
kbproto-1.0.3       KB extension headers                                                                                                      
libFS-1.0.1         The FS library                                                                                                            
libGL-7.4.2_1       OpenGL library that renders using GLX or DRI                                                                              
libICE-1.0.4_1,1    Inter Client Exchange library for X11                                                                                     
libIDL-0.8.13       A library for creating trees of CORBA IDL files                                                                           
libSM-1.1.0_1,1     Session Management library for X11                                                                                        
libX11-1.2.1,1      X11 library                                                                                                               
libXScrnSaver-1.1.3 The XScrnSaver library                                                                                                    
libXTrap-1.0.0      The XTrap library                                                                                                         
libXau-1.0.4        Authentication Protocol library for X11                                                                                   
libXaw-1.0.5_1,1    X Athena Widgets library                                                                                                  
libXcomposite-0.4.0,1 X Composite extension library                                                                                           
libXcursor-1.1.9_1  X client-side cursor loading library                                                                                      
libXdamage-1.1.1    X Damage extension library

part 3:
Code:
libXdmcp-1.0.2_1    X Display Manager Control Protocol library                                                                                
libXevie-1.0.2      The Xevie library                                                                                                         
libXext-1.0.5,1     X11 Extension library                                                                                                     
libXfixes-4.0.3_1   X Fixes extension library                                                                                                 
libXfont-1.3.4,1    X font libary                                                                                                             
libXfontcache-1.0.4 The Xfontcache library                                                                                                    
libXft-2.1.13       A client-sided font API for X applications                                                                                
libXi-1.2.1,1       X Input extension library                                                                                                 
libXinerama-1.0.3,1 X11 Xinerama library                                                                                                      
libXmu-1.0.4,1      X Miscellaneous Utilities libraries                                                                                       
libXp-1.0.0,1       X print library                                                                                                           
libXpm-3.5.7        X Pixmap library                                                                                                          
libXrandr-1.3.0     X Resize and Rotate extension library                                                                                     
libXrender-0.9.4_1  X Render extension library                                                                                                
libXres-1.0.3_3     X Resource usage library                                                                                                  
libXt-1.0.5_1       X Toolkit library                                                                                                         
libXtst-1.0.3_1     X Test extension                                                                                                          
libXv-1.0.4,1       X Video Extension library                                                                                                 
libXvMC-1.0.4_1     X Video Extension Motion Compensation library                                                                             
libXxf86dga-1.0.2   X DGA Extension                                                                                                           
libXxf86misc-1.0.1  X XF86-Misc Extension                                                                                                     
libXxf86vm-1.0.2    X Vidmode Extension                                                                                                       
libart_lgpl-2.3.20,1 Library for high-performance 2D graphics                                                                                 
libaudiofile-0.2.6  A sound library for SGI audio file                                                                                        
libbonobo-2.24.1    A component and compound document system for GNOME2                                                                       
libbonoboui-2.24.1  GUI frontend to the libbonobo component of GNOME 2                                                                        
libcddb-1.3.0       A library to access data on a CDDB server                                                                                 
libcdio-0.78.2_2    Compact Disc Input and Control Library                                                                                    
libcroco-0.6.2      CSS2 parsing library                                                                                                      
libdaemon-0.12      Lightweight C library that eases the writing of UNIX daemon                                                               
libdmx-1.0.2_1      DMX extension library                                                                                                     
libdrm-2.4.11       Userspace interface to kernel Direct Rendering Module servi                                                               
libexecinfo-1.1_3   A library for inspecting program's backtrace                                                                              
libexif-0.6.17      Library to read digital camera file meta-data                                                                             
libfontenc-1.0.4    The fontenc Library                                                                                                       
libgcrypt-1.4.4     General purpose crypto library based on code used in GnuPG                                                                
libglade2-2.6.4     GNOME glade library                                                                                                       
libgnome-2.26.0     Libraries for GNOME, a GNU desktop environment                                                                            
libgnomecanvas-2.26.0 A graphics library for GNOME                                                                                            
libgnomekbd-2.26.0  GNOME keyboard shared library                                                                                             
libgnomeui-2.24.1   Libraries for the GNOME GUI, a GNU desktop environment                                                                    
libgpg-error-1.7    Common error values for all GnuPG components                                                                              
libgphoto2-2.4.5    A universal digital camera picture control tool                                                                           
libgsf-1.14.11      An extensible i/o abstraction for dealing with structured f                                                               
libgweather-2.26.0  Library to accessing online weather informations                                                                          
libical-0.43        An implementation of the IETF's Calendaring and Scheduling                                                                
libiconv-1.11_1     A character set conversion library                                                                                        
libltdl-1.5.26      System independent dlopen wrapper                                                                                         
libnotify-0.4.5     A library for desktop notifications                                                                                       
libogg-1.1.3,4      Ogg bitstream library                                                                                                     
liboil-0.3.15       Library of optimized inner loops                                                                                          
liboldX-1.0.1       Old X library                                                                                                             
libpciaccess-0.10.6 Generic PCI access library                                                                                                
libproxy-0.2.3      Library that provides automatic proxy configuration managem                                                               
libpthread-stubs-0.1 This library provides weak aliases for pthread functions                                                                 
librsvg2-2.26.0     Library for parsing and rendering SVG vector-graphic files                                                                
libsamplerate-0.1.7 Secret Rabbit Code: a Sample Rate Converter for audio                                                                     
libsndfile-1.0.19   Reading and writing files containing sampled sound (like WA                                                               
libsoup-2.26.2      A SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol) implementation in C                                                                
libtasn1-2.1        ASN.1 structure parser library                                                                                            
libusb-0.1.12_4     Library giving userland programs access to USB devices                                                                    
libutempter-1.1.5_1 Interface to record user sessions to utmp and wtmp files                                                                  
libvolume_id-0.81.1 Library to provide file system type information                                                                           
libvorbis-1.2.0_3,3 Audio compression codec library                                                                                           
libwnck-2.26.0      Library used for writing pagers and taskslists                                                                            
libxcb-1.2_1        The X protocol C-language Binding (XCB) library                                                                           
libxkbfile-1.0.5    XKB file library                                                                                                          
libxkbui-1.0.2_1    The xkbui library                                                                                                         
libxklavier-3.9,1   An utility library to make XKB stuff easier

Part 4:
Code:
libxml2-2.7.3       XML parser library for GNOME                                                                                              
libxslt-1.1.24_2    The XSLT C library for GNOME                                                                                              
linux_base-fc-4_14  Base set of packages needed in Linux mode (for i386/amd64)                                                                
luit-1.0.3_1        Locale and ISO 2022 support for Unicode terminals                                                                         
mkfontdir-1.0.4     Create an index of X font files in a directory                                                                            
mkfontscale-1.0.6   Creates an index of scalable font files for X                                                                             
nspr-4.7            A platform-neutral API for system level and libc like funct                                                               
nss-3.11.9_2        Libraries to support development of security-enabled applic                                                               
openldap-client-2.4.16 Open source LDAP client implementation                                                                                 
pango-1.24.2        An open-source framework for the layout and rendering of i1                                                               
pciids-20090224     Database of all known ID's used in PCI devices                                                                            
pcre-7.9            Perl Compatible Regular Expressions library                                                                               
perl-5.8.9_3        Practical Extraction and Report Language                                                                                  
pixman-0.15.4       Low-level pixel manipulation library                                                                                      
pkg-config-0.23_1   A utility to retrieve information about installed libraries                                                               
png-1.2.35          Library for manipulating PNG images                                                                                       
policykit-0.9_4     Framework for controlling access to system-wide components                                                                
policykit-gnome-0.9.2 GNOME frontend to the PolicKit framework                                                                                
popt-1.14           A getopt(3) like library with a number of enhancements, fro                                                               
printproto-1.0.4    Print extension headers                                                                                                   
pulseaudio-0.9.14_2 Sound server for UNIX                                                                                                     
py26-cairo-1.8.2    Python bindings for Cairo                                                                                                 
py26-gnome-2.26.1   A set of Python bindings for GNOME 2                                                                                      
py26-gobject-2.16.1 Python bindings for GObject                                                                                               
py26-gtk-2.14.1     A set of Python bindings for GTK+                                                                                         
py26-libxml2-2.7.3  Python interface for XML parser library for GNOME                                                                         
py26-numeric-24.2_3 The Numeric Extension to Python                                                                                           
py26-orbit-2.24.0   Python bindings for ORBit2                                                                                                
python25-2.5.4_1    An interpreted object-oriented programming language                                                                       
python26-2.6.2      An interpreted object-oriented programming language                                                                       
randrproto-1.3.0    Randr extension headers                                                                                                   
rarian-0.8.1        An OMF help system based on the Freedesktop specification                                                                 
recordproto-1.13.2  RECORD extension headers                                                                                                  
renderproto-0.9.3   RenderProto protocol headers                                                                                              
samba-libsmbclient-3.0.34_1 Shared libs from the samba package                                                                                
scrnsaverproto-1.1.0 ScrnSaver extension headers                                                                                              
sessreg-1.0.4       Manage utmp/wtmp entries for non-init X clients                                                                           
setxkbmap-1.0.4     Set the keyboard using the X Keyboard Extension                                                                           
shared-mime-info-0.60_1 A MIME type database from the FreeDesktop project                                                                     
smproxy-1.0.2       Session Manager Proxy                                                                                                     
speex-1.2.r1_1,1    An open-source patent-free voice codec                                                                                    
sqlite3-3.6.14.2    An SQL database engine in a C library                                                                                     
startup-notification-0.10 Library that supports startup notification spec from freede                                                         
tiff-3.8.2_3        Tools and library routines for working with TIFF images                                                                   
trapproto-3.4.3     DEC-XTRAP extension headers                                                                                               
twm-1.0.4           Tab Window Manager for the X Window System                                                                                
videoproto-2.2.2    Video extension headers                                                                                                   
x11perf-1.5         X11 server performance test program                                                                                       
xauth-1.0.3         X authority file utility                                                                                                  
xbacklight-1.1      Program to adjust backlight brightness                                                                                    
xbitmaps-1.0.1      X.Org bitmaps data                                                                                                        
xcalc-1.0.2_1       Scientific calculator for X                                                                                               
xcb-proto-1.4       The X protocol C-language Binding (XCB) protocol                                                                          
xcb-util-0.3.4      A module with libxcb/libX11 extension/replacement libraries                                                               
xcmsdb-1.0.1        Device Color Characterization utility for X                                                                               
xcursor-themes-1.0.1_1 X.org cursors themes                                                                                                   
xcursorgen-1.0.2    Create an X cursor file from a collection of PNG images                                                                   
xdpyinfo-1.0.3      Display information utility for X                                                                                         
xdriinfo-1.0.2      Query configuration information of DRI drivers                                                                            
xev-1.0.3           Print contents of X events                                                                                                
xextproto-7.0.5     XExt extension headers                                                                                                    
xf86-input-keyboard-1.3.2_2 X.Org keyboard input driver                                                                                       
xf86-input-mouse-1.4.0_6 X.Org mouse input driver                                                                                             
xf86-video-ati-6.12.2_1 X.Org ati display driver                                                                                              
xf86-video-intel-2.7.1 Driver for Intel integrated graphics chipsets                                                                          
xf86-video-mach64-6.8.1 X.Org mach64 display driver                                                                                           
xf86-video-nv-2.1.13_1 X.Org nv display driver

Part 5:
Code:
xf86-video-openchrome-0.2.903_2 X.Org openChrome display driver                                                                               
xf86-video-r128-6.8.0_3 X.Org r128 display driver                                                                                             
xf86-video-radeonhd-1.2.5_2 X.Org ati RadeonHD display driver                                                                                 
xf86-video-vesa-2.1.0_2 X.Org vesa display driver                                                                                             
xf86-video-vmware-10.16.5_2 X.Org vmware display driver                                                                                       
xf86dga-1.0.2_1     Test program for the XFree86-DGA extension                                                                                
xf86dgaproto-2.0.3  XFree86-DGA extension headers                                                                                             
xf86miscproto-0.9.2 XFree86-Misc extension headers                                                                                            
xf86vidmodeproto-2.2.2 XFree86-VidModeExtension extension headers                                                                             
xgamma-1.0.2        Gamma correction through the X server.                                                                                    
xgc-1.0.1_1         X graphics demo                                                                                                           
xhost-1.0.2         Server access control program for X                                                                                       
xineramaproto-1.1.2 Xinerama extension headers                                                                                                
xinit-1.1.1_1       X Window System initializer                                                                                               
xinput-1.4.2        Very useful utility for configuring and testing XInput devi                                                               
xkbcomp-1.0.5       Compile XKB keyboard description                                                                                          
xkbevd-1.0.2        XKB event daemon                                                                                                          
xkbutils-1.0.1_2    XKB utility demos
xkeyboard-config-1.6_1 X Keyboard Configuration Database
xkill-1.0.1         Utility for killing a client by its X resource
xlsatoms-1.0.1      List interned atoms defined on a server
xlsclients-1.0.1    List client applications running on a display
xmlcatmgr-2.2       SGML and XML catalog manager
xmlcharent-0.3_2    XML character entities
xmodmap-1.0.3       Utility for modifying keymaps and pointer button mappings i
xorg-7.4_2          X.Org complete distribution metaport
xorg-apps-7.4_1     X.org apps meta-port
xorg-docs-1.4,1     X.org documentation files
xorg-drivers-7.4_2  X.org drivers meta-port
xorg-fonts-100dpi-7.4 X.Org 100dpi bitmap fonts
xorg-fonts-7.4      X.org fonts meta-port
xorg-fonts-75dpi-7.4 X.Org 75dpi bitmap fonts
xorg-fonts-cyrillic-7.4 X.Org Cyrillic bitmap fonts
xorg-fonts-miscbitmaps-7.4 X.Org miscellaneous bitmap fonts
xorg-fonts-truetype-7.4 X.Org TrueType fonts
xorg-fonts-type1-7.4 X.Org Type1 fonts
xorg-libraries-7.4  X.org libraries meta-port
xorg-server-1.6.1,1 X.Org X server and related programs
xpr-1.0.2           Utility for printing an X window dump
xprop-1.0.4         Property displayer for X
xproto-7.0.15       X11 protocol headers
xrandr-1.3.0        Primitive command line interface to the RandR extension
xrdb-1.0.5          X server resource database utility
xrefresh-1.0.2      Refresh all or part of an X screen
xset-1.0.4          User preference utility for X
xsetmode-1.0.0      Set the mode for an X Input Device
xsetroot-1.0.2      root window parameter setting utility for X
xterm-243           Terminal emulator for the X Window System
xtrans-1.2.3        Abstract network code for X
xvinfo-1.0.2        Print out X-Video extension adaptor information
xwd-1.0.2           Dump an image of an X window
xwininfo-1.0.4      Window information utility for X
xwud-1.0.1          Image displayer for X
zenity-2.26.0       Display GNOME dialogs from the command line

corneliu said:
I split it in five parts because the forum limits the size of the posts.
You can add files to your post ;)
(Or maybe not because you're a new user.. not sure actually)

Anyway, it looks pretty complete to me, Gnome looks ok and so does Xorg.

Did you put gnome_enable in /etc/rc.conf or did you put all four of the entries seperately?

Make sure both hald and dbus are running, quick check:
$ pgrep -lf hal
$ pgrep -lg dbus

Both commands should produce some output.

@ DutchDaemon: Thanks , I managed to get the file using ssh.
@ SirDice: Thanks for the mount command. Indeed the usbkey has not been mounted. No Windows here :) all Linux, so ssh did the job perfectly.

Back