no wpa_supplicant.conf

Hello,

I´ve installed freebsd 8.1. Now I wanted to setup my internet via wlan, but I can´t find /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. I know how to change directories. This is not the reason. The file isn´t present at all in etc.

Can someone guide me through the setup-process of wifi? I am using atheros 5212 card and wpa-psk.

I have already read the official blueprint on this website, but it didn´t work out for me.
I am writing from a Windows7 machine, unfortunately ;)

Next step would be gnome, so I need internet badly.

Should I go static. I want to setup Samba someday....?

Best Regards

Martin

There's an example wpa_supplicant.conf at /usr/share/examples/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf, copy that to /etc and adapt to your needs.

skido said:
I´ve installed freebsd 8.1. Now I wanted to setup my internet via wlan, but i can´t find /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. I know how to change directories. This is not the reason. The file isn´t present at all in etc.
It doesn't exist by default. You have to create it if you need it.

Can someone guid me through the setup-process of wifi? I am using atheros 5212 card and wpa-psk.
Please read the handbook: 31.3 Wireless Networking

I have allready read the official blueprint on this website, but it didn´t workout for me.
What doesn't work? What did you try? How is your wireless set up? We cannot help you if you do not provide information.

I create wlan0 but I can´t associate it to the ap. It shows 'no carrier'.

Do you need some prompts? Which one should i give you? How?

Thanks for your response!

How is the AP setup? WEP? WPA?

Just follow the guides in the handbook for a wireless client. Shouldn't be to difficult.

Hello,

thanks for the reply! I found the mistake. I think in the handbook wasn´t mentioned, that you have also to insert a line like:
Code:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
in your wpa_supplicant.conf or so.

That´s why it didn´t work for me.

Now its fine.

Back