No windows maneger works.ĺ

Nothing works.

I have tried every one of them and every tutorial and nothing works. Im not a new face to the linux/unix world I have been using linux for years and programming but this is just wierd. It just boots into the commandline. Can anybody help me?

You need to be more clear. Everything does work so obviously you are doing something wrong. So explain what you are doing.

You say you are following tutorials but are you following the Handbook?

OP: FreeBSD is not like a Linux distro where xorg, a display manager, etc, is installed and configured for you. You install the base OS, then it is up to you to install xorg, a display manager and a desktop environment or window manager and configure them appropriately. Unlike Linux where the OS is mixed together with end user software, FreeBSD keeps the OS and end user applications (including xorg, window managers, etc) separate.

Please try to provide more details in future posts so someone may help you better.

even in Linux just using startx you need a .xinitrc with the proper content inside of it to get the deskptop/Wmanager to start.

FreeBSD.
1. install xorg
2. install a desktop/WindowManager, if windowManager look in /usr/share/xsessions to be sure it put a desktop in for it, if not then create one if you are going to be using a login manager.
3. create a .xinitrc something as simple as
Code:
#!/bin/sh

exec (desktop names executable)
in mine I have slim and xfce4 / wmaker my .xinitrc using bash
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

[[ "$1" = 'default' ]] && startxfce4 || exec $1
this makes my xfce default desktop so I do not have to hit F1 to select a desktop when I log in to slim.

4. install video drivers if needed
5. add them to rc.conf
6. add 'dbus_enable=yes
that is pretty much the simple of it.

the Xfiles

this is a good guild line to follow

I believe OP is used to the wizard based, graphical installations that install and set up xorg , a display manager and desktop environment. Would explain their question.

Back