No Wi-Fi

ifconfig wlan0 down
ifconfig wlan0 country Netherlands
ifconfig wlan0 up
ifconfig wlan0 (post output)
I did it in the console. Things start to get interesting, since I see a lot of more messages here:
DSC_0506.JPG

ifconfig wlan0 list chan (post output)
ifconfig wlan0 scan (post output)
DSC_0507.JPG

DSC_0508.JPG

Bad news, I am afraid. I see there is PR 172706, which has not yet been fixed, reporting the same issue. It also suggests using one of the channels available with the country as "US" (that is 1-11) as a work-around.

You mentioned you had another USB WiFi card. Perhaps you could use that and change /etc/rc.conf to:
Code:
wlans_run0="wlan0"
create_args_run0="country Netherlands"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"

Edit: Changed wpi0 to run0 in rc.conf excerpt

Perhaps you could use that and change /etc/rc.conf to:
Before I did so, I noticed that I had to write
Code:
create_args_wpi0="country Netherlands"
instead of
Code:
create_args="country Netherlands"
. So I tried it that way first. But still no success.
My other USB card didn't work as well, however, it did load normally. An odd thing is that I had to change the country by hand after boot to Netherlands. This card displayed even less channels, only 1 to 11. Quite odd, since it does work on Arch GNU/Linux.
So, what to do now? Lay my laptop to rest until my father will change to another router next year or when the bug has been fixed and install the new driver by hand? Or are there any other suggestions?

Lay my laptop to rest until my father will change to another router next year or when the bug has been fixed and install the new driver by hand?
Ask your father nicely to configure the router to use a channel <= 11. It's easy to do and clients should pick up the new channel automatically, so your father needn't worry that anything breaks :)
My other USB card didn't work as well, however, it did load normally. An odd thing is that I had to change the country by hand after boot to Netherlands. This card displayed even less channels, only 1 to 11. Quite odd, since it does work on Arch GNU/Linux.
Is buying another card an option for you? I have a card with an Atheros AR9285 chipset (ath_hal(4)) and can confirm that switching countries and using channel 13 work just fine.

So, what to do now? Lay my laptop to rest until my father will change to another router next year or when the bug has been fixed and install the new driver by hand? Or are there any other suggestions?
Erm... Assuming you don't have the skills and/or time to fix the bug with the wpi(4) driver yourself, I think I covered the obvious other option :)
I was going suggesting trying to change the channel on your father's router
Humour me and try changing the channel on the access point. Choose a number of 11 or lower.
Of course, if you could change the channel of the wireless access point to something between 1 and 11, I would expect everything would work fine...
It also suggests using one of the channels available with the country as "US" (that is 1-11) as a work-around.
Reconfiguring the access point to use a different channel is easy and is unlikely to affect any other device. Your father wouldn't even notice if you did it without telling him :) Even tobik agrees so it must be true!

Back