No sound from Browsers

Yes, I remember in some of my installations (it was Linux) installing pavucontrol fixed the sound. BTW, audio/pavucontrol has to do with pulseaudio.

On my part, I've just built a completely new set of ports for 11-CURRENT, following what I stated previously -- and still, the sound in www/firefox with HTML5 works all right. Without any need for pulseaudio, although Firefox is built with pulseaudio support.
There is one trick I'm using, though: I'm using the same home directory over my installations, and I copy over /etc to every new installation.

I copy over /etc to every new installation
I think this will cause problems. You can copy some of the files of the /etc directory, but not the whole directory.
Actually it doesn't. Whatever NEW files are added with the new release, they remain untouched. Whatever EXISTING files get modified upon upgrade -- it is usually changes I have to undo to keep my installation: like wiping clean my /etc/passwd and login. I've seen this many times during STABLE upgrade and mergemaster.
Although you're right, this may happen.

EDIT: Yes, you're right. I didn't have problems yet most likely because I was upgrading from STABLE to RELEASE, which is essentially the same thing. But it really is rather dangerous, as I now realize... thankfully , I've done that just once or twice...

Last edited:
Back