"No route to host" FreeBSD-10.1 on VirtualBox

Hello,

I installed FreeBSD-10.1-RELEASE-amd64 on VirtualBox 4.3.4. On VirtualBox the network is set on set to "Bridged Adapter". Outputs: ifconfig.png; nestat.png; rc.conf.png. When trying to fetch pkg or any other gets: no route to host. Also tried settingVbox to NAT, same result.

Please help.
Thank you

Attachments

• ifconfig.png
    ifconfig.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 376
  • netstat.png
    netstat.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 363
  • rc.png
    rc.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 310
Something that has bitten me once or twice before. I had a VM bridged on my host's wireless interface. This won't work if the host is connected to a wired network, you will get similar error messages. So make sure you are actually bridging the active interface. It does not switch automatically.

Also verify that the host's firewall (if applicable) allows the traffic from/to the guests.

Thank you for your replies. I changed the netmask. It is connected to the proper network device. There is no firewall.

The error is slightly different now: error_fetching.png.

Attachments

• ifconfig2.png
    ifconfig2.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 430
  • bridged.png
    bridged.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 352
  • error_fetching.png
    error_fetching.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 316
"No address record" indicates your DNS isn't correctly configured. If you've used static addresses make sure you edit /etc/resolv.conf accordingly.

Hi guys,

Thanks for replies. I did not sort it out. It is very very frustrating, maybe I'm too noob for this stuff. Not sure what and how to do next.

Thanks

I recommend setting the VM networking to NAT in VirtualBox and using
Code:
ifconfig_em0="SYNCDHCP"

Something has changed, now pkg simply hangs, might be because on the host they use an automatic script, something like http://wpad/wpad.dat?

Attachments

• syncdhcp.png
    syncdhcp.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 303
  • resolv.conf.png
    resolv.conf.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 278
  • nu_ifconfig.png
    nu_ifconfig.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 247
You still must have valid DNS servers. It might be that your DHCP server is not handing out the correct ones.

If you don't mind Google tracking every place you go on the net, enter
Code:
nameserver 8.8.8.8
in /etc/resolv.conf.

That will be overwritten by DHCP if you restart the VM.

Back