Solved No pip with Python 3.4 port

First off, please excuse the possible noobery. I've installed Python 3.4 from ports (lang/python34). I'd like to have pip as well, it's allegedly bundled with 3.4 onwards but I definitely don't have it.

$ freebsd-version
Code:
10.1-RELEASE
$ python -V
Code:
Python 3.4.1
$ python -m pip install django
Code:
/usr/bin/python: No module named pip

Looks like devel/py-pip is for Python 2.7 only, and every resource online says 3.4 should have pip bundled already. How can I get pip going with my 3.4 port?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the following error when running the above command:

Code:
/usr/local/lib/libpython3.5m.so.1.0: Undefined symbol "utimensat"

I'm running FreeBSD 10.2 with python3.5 installed via pkg and am utterly unable to get pip for python 3 to work.

any pointers?

Actually, I just tried the same command successfully inside a jail on the same host and it worked just fine - perhaps something in my host system is wonky (I'm actually running PC-BSD)...

Its a little bit late, but if anyone can help.

Code:
python3 -m ensurepip
says requirement already satisfied but it doesn't work when I try pip3 or pip3.6 to install something.
It says pip3 / pip3.6 command not identified.

As this is an old post it has an old solution, since then devel/py3-pip was added to the ports tree (it was added a full year after the original question was asked). I suggest you use that.

For small annoyances like this, the workaround being pip-3.6

I simply add an alias in shell or abbr fish (personal preference) so that pip returns as pip-3.6 as fBSD requires. This way you get to run pip (or any other command) as intended (or originally learned) vs having to remember or look up to see if the separator is a hyphen or period, or was it all one word? each time for an arbitrary command.

Back