Solved No longer able to record audio after upgrade to 14.1

Hi,

after upgrading to 14.1-RELEASE (latest patches applied) I can no longer record audio via microphone, meaning that using microphone, headset with microphone or microphone of the usb webcam just produce no input. There are no error messages of any and I tried using classical cable connection and usb and both show the same behaviour. I also tried web conference stuff with chrome and firefox which both worked before but also no error message and no sound input. Sound output is working fine.

I noticed the following entries from the system log:

Code:
Jul 19 10:47:51 XXX pulseaudio[73788]: [] oss-util.c: '/dev/dsp0' doesn't support full duplex
Jul 19 10:47:51 XXX pulseaudio[73788]: [] oss-util.c: '/dev/dsp1' doesn't support full duplex
Jul 19 10:47:51 XXX pulseaudio[73788]: [] oss-util.c: '/dev/dsp2' doesn't support full duplex
Jul 19 10:47:51 XXX pulseaudio[73788]: [] oss-util.c: '/dev/dsp3' doesn't support full duplex
Jul 19 10:47:51 XXX pulseaudio[73788]: [] oss-util.c: '/dev/dsp4' doesn't support full duplex
Jul 19 10:47:51 XXX pulseaudio[73788]: [] oss-util.c: '/dev/dsp5' doesn't support full duplex
Jul 19 10:47:51 XXX pulseaudio[73788]: [] cli-command.c: stat('/usr/local/etc/pulse/default.pa.d'): No such file or directory

Code:
% cat /dev/sndstat
Installed devices:
pcm0: <NVIDIA (0x0081) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
pcm1: <NVIDIA (0x0081) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
pcm2: <Realtek ALC887 (Analog 7.1+HP/2.0)> (play/rec) default
pcm3: <Realtek ALC887 (Rear Digital)> (play)
pcm4: <Intel Panther Point (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
pcm5: <vendor 0x046d HD Pro Webcam C920> (rec)
No devices installed from userspace.

The only customised settings for sound I have are from sysctl.conf:

Code:
hw.snd.default_unit=2
dev.pcm.2.play.vchans=4
dev.pcm.2.play.vchanformat=s16le:7.1
dev.pcm.2.play.vchanmode=passthrough
dev.pcm.2.rec.vchans=4
hw.snd.maxautovchans=4

Any ideas what might be going on?

Kind regards,

FWIW I started my FreeBSD adventure with 14.1 so I don't have experience with previous versions. With that said, for me pulseaudio never worked when recording audio with OBS, I ended up completely disabling it and just using OSS. Works for me (TM).

I did this in the past but it led to other problems because quite some software defaults to pulseaudio meanwhile and for a couple of years it "just worked" but suddenly stopped. After creating the directory I can at least start the pulse audio daemon manually but it does not get auto started by software that uses it which is how it is supposed to work. :-|

Is this a problem with pulse audio only, or is direct recording on OSS also affected? Like when stopping pulse and recording in e.g. audacity?

Thanks for the hint with audacity using OSS.

However, I get funny a.k.a. inconsistent behaviour here.

1. After first start audacity does not record anything on front or rear analog input jack.
2. Audacity does record fine from the usb webcam microphone albeit with very, very low volume (barely hearable even with mic mixed up).
3. Sometimes (currently about 50% chance) audacity can record from front and read input jack after first recording something from the webcam.

If I get recording from the input jacks this stays fine. But if I restart audacity I'm back to square one (record first via usb and then about 50% chance that normal audio recording is working afterwards).

This is quite mysterious for an upgrade from 14 to 14.1 although there was something in the releasenotes regarding input sources but I thought it was only related to usb audio stuff.

I'm tempted to try sndio but I fear that the problem is rooted deeper.

Firefox uses pulseaudio but it can be changed to use oss

In Firefox open about:config

Code:
about:config

and create

Code:
media.cubeb.backend

set the option to string and

Code:
oss

Chromium doesnt use pulseaudio
in fact Firefox and obs studio are the only apps i know of on Freebsd that uses pulseaudio by default

And you can change both firefox and obs to use oss

Some tutorials on obs studio virtual oss and jack

Using sox to record desktop audio, sox can also be used to record your mic

i would recommend using obs studio to record audio instead of audacity
because obs studio has much better filters for noise reduction

you can set obs to just record audio and not the display and save the file as a wav

Back