OpenBOX No Installed Applications?

Greetings all,

I have installed OpenBOX on FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE-p4 GENERIC amd 64. When I right click on a file to be opened in PCManFM and select "Open with. . .", the Choose Application window opens, but the "Installed Applications" tab is empty.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kindest regards,

M

You need to download the menu editor obmenu .
Openbox is a blank slate. Nothing is included. Build your own.
I use alot of the LXDE accessories as LXDE is built on OpenBox.
Some things to investigate are Conky, tint2 and feh for background.

You have in $HOME/.config/openbox/menu.xml which you should edit.
I am using x11/tint (
Tint is a simple panel/taskbar/systray intentionally made for openbox3, but
should also work with other window managers.) and you cant start applications from panel too.

Hi robotchaos,

yes, the /usr/local/share/applications directory contains names the applications I had installed with extension ".desktop". From my reading, I need somehow establish a relationship between this folder and OpenBOX, PACManFm, but so far all the suggestions failed.

Hi Phishfry,

I have build both menu.xml and rc.xml by hand, so I do not believe that obmenu is required.

Hi fernandel,

I do have the menu.xml with all my applications in there. I can invoke the applications, no problem. I cannot associated the applications with specific files from PCManFM.

Kindest regards,

M

obmenu is not required but it sure does make it easier to customize.
I cannot associated the applications with specific files from PCManFM.
MIME types is what they are called. Another XML fire for you to checkout

You also might want to read up on policykit. You might need to launch it in your .xinitrc depending on your usage.

Hi Phishfry,

I know how to launch applications from the menu. What I want to do is double click a document, e.g., a *.pdf document, and have it automatically opened by an associated application, e.g. Xpdf.

Since I am using PCManFM, the issue I am trying to resolve, why PCManFM does not show the applications that have ben installed, so that I can select and thus associate one of them.

Kindest regards,

M

Greetings all,

I have installed OpenBOX on FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE-p4 GENERIC amd 64. When I right click on a file to be opened in PCManFM and select "Open with. . .", the Choose Application window opens, but the "Installed Applications" tab is empty.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kindest regards,

M
You need a mimeapps.list in ~/.local/share/applications/ and I'm pretty sure that file is generated by devel/xdg-utils. So make sure you have devel/xdg-utils installed on your system. If it is installed try to clean ~/.cache/pcmanfm-....

Like Minbari already said you need a ~/.config/mimeapps.list and if you dont want to edit it directly you can use tools of the devel/xdg-utils package. But it is not mandatory.

Since your Installed Applications tab is empty, my guess is that you need menu data for an application menu (which is not included in openbox by default). You can use e.g. x11/lxmenu-data and add
Code:
export XDG_MENU_PREFIX="lxde-"
to your ~/.config/openbox/environment. Then you can also use the applications place in pcmanfm. This should also work with other menus like x11/gnome-menus or x11/mate-menus.

Back