No devices detected.

Hello to everybody.

First steps here with freebsd. I come from Linux,but I've realized that it became a moster of complexity and I'm tired of it. I wanna try freebsd to relax myself a little bit. Anyway,I'm not involved in any company and I haven't a great job experience with linux. I'm an hobbyist. With that said,I'm here to ask some help to fix a problem with Xorg and the display driver that prevents me from using freebsd.
Everything worked great until I have installed the closed source nvidia driver for freebsd that I've got here :

https://www.nvidia.it/Download/driverResults.aspx/175998/it :

FreeBSD Display Driver – x64​

Versione: 460.84
Data di rilascio: 2021.6.3
Sistema operativo: FreeBSD x64
Lingua: Italiano
Dimensioni: 103.27 MB

It added these entries inside the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file :

Code:
Section "Device"
             Identifier "Device0"
             Driver "nvidia"
             VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

and also these entries inside the file /etc/loader.conf

Code:
nvidia_load="YES"
nvidia_name="nvidia"
nvidia_modeset_load="YES"
nvidia_modeset_name="nvidia-modeset"

but with these modifications,Xorg stopped working,telling : "no screens found". Ok that's right,because on the BIOS I have chosen the Intel UHD Graphics 630 as default graphic card to boot with (IGFX integrated chipset inside the motherboard : Intel I9 + Gigabyte Aorus PRO : (Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd 8th/9th Gen Core 8-core Desktop Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers [Coffee Lake S]),so the nvidia driver can't be used. So,this is what I did to remove it and to use the intel driver. First of all I have added to this file :

/boot/loader.conf

this entry :

Code:
i915kms_load="YES"

and then I have installed this package :

Code:
pkg install xf86-video-intel

in addition,I have renamed the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf to xorg._conf and I have created this file :

/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-intel.conf

Code:
Section "Device"
             Identifier "Card0"
             Driver "intel"
             BusID "PCI:0:0:2:0"
EndSection

that I have copied also inside the folder /etc/X11 with the name of xorg.conf

the UHD graphics 630 chipset is located at the address : 00:02.0,as the command lspci -k given in Linux,says :

Code:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation CoffeeLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] (rev 02)
        DeviceName: Onboard - Video
        Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd UHD Graphics 630 (Desktop 9 Series)
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel modules: i915

Something is broken,anyway,because this is what happens when I write "startx" from freebsd :

Intel: Driver for Intel integrated chipsets : i810,i810-dc100,i810e,i815,i830M,845G,854,852GM/855GM,865G,915G,E7221 (i915),915GM,945G,945GM,945GME,Pineview GM,Pineview G,965G,G35,965Q,946GZ,965GM,965GME/GLE,G33,Q35,Q33,GM45, 4 series,G45/G43,Q45/Q43,G41,B43

Intel: driver for intel HD graphics
intel: driver for intel Iris graphics
Intel: driver for intel iris pro graphics
using syscons driver with X support (version 2.0)
using VT number 9
No devices detected.
No screens found (EE)

So,lets make a recap : These are my :

Code:
/boot/loader.conf

vmm_load="YES"
nmdm_load="YES"
if_tap_load="YES"
if_bridge_load="YES"
#nvidia_load="YES"
#nvidia_name="nvidia"
#nvidia_modeset_load="YES"
#nvidia_modeset_name="nvidia-modeset"
i915kms_load="YES"

and my /etc/rc.conf

Code:
hostname="lozioma"
keymap="it.kbd"
ifconfig_em0="DHCP"
local_outbound_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
ntpdate_enable="YES"
ntpd_enable="YES"
powerd_enable="YES"
libvirt_enable="YES"
dumpdev="AUTO"
linux_enable="YES"

So,I don't know what could be wrong. Can someone give me some suggestion ? thanks.

Everything worked great until I have installed the closed source nvidia driver for freebsd that I've got here :
Forget that one, use the port/package x11/nvidia-driver.
and also these entries inside the file /etc/loader.conf
It's /boot/loader.conf and you can remove all that. Add to /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
kld_list="nvidia-modeset"

Ok that's right,because on the BIOS I have chosen the Intel UHD Graphics 630 as default graphic card to boot with
Set your BIOS to use the EGP instead if you want to use the NVidia card.

So,I don't know what could be wrong.
The "problem" with the driver from the NVidia website is that it replaces a couple of Xorg libraries. Those only work with the NVidia driver. The port/package correctly handles this, the original NVidia driver code does not.

thanks. At the moment I don't want to set the nvidia graphic card as the default card to boot the PC,but the Intel UHD Graphics 630.

At the moment I don't want to set the nvidia graphic card as the default card to boot the PC,but the Intel UHD Graphics 630.
Ok, that's fine. But I suspect the NVidia driver has now overwritten some Xorg libraries and that's causing it to fail.
Can you do cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999 and post the URL here? Then we can have a look at your logs.

Remove this from /boot/loader.conf:
Code:
i915kms_load="YES"
And add to /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
kld_list="i915kms"

And remove the /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-intel.conf, it shouldn't be needed.

ok. what should I do with the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf ? at the moment is like this :

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "intel"
BusID "PCI:0:0:2:0"
EndSection

is it good ? because it still does not work,telling : no screen found.

what should I do with the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Remove it. Nowadays you don't really need any configuration files for X anymore. Only if it doesn't automatically detect the right hardware. Most of the time it'll work just fine without any configuration files.

So, start without any configuration files at all. The only thing you need is kld_list="i915kms in rc.conf, that loads the driver from graphics/drm-kmod.

And make sure your user account has been added to the video group; pw groupmod video -m <username>

ok. I have removed the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Now the Desktop manager starts (xfce4),BUT my mouse does not work and i don't see any icon on the desktop.

give a look at the error messages on the screen...

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-06-15 at 17.13.09.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-06-15 at 17.13.09.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 109
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-06-15 at 17.13.49.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-06-15 at 17.13.49.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 119
Now the Desktop manager starts (xfce4)
I'm calling that progress :)
BUT my mouse does not work
USB mouse? Or old school PS/2? For some reason ums(4) might not load automatically for some people, so it'll fail to detect the USB mouse. Change the kld_list in rc.conf to include the driver; kld_list="i915kms ums", see if that helps.

Done. The problem is not the mouse. Its something else that's also correlated with the icons on the desktop that are gone.

I've fixed the problem,by following this tutorial : https://wiki.freebsd.org/LXDE ;

I think that the step that was missing before has been this :

• # pkg install drm-kmod ;

I didn't install this package before.

Errata corrige : there is still something that does not work properly. When I launch vlc,I see the following error message :

dbus interface error : failed to connect to the D-Bus session daemon : unable to autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11,but I have added this entry "dbus_enable="YES" to the file "/etc/rc.conf".

Fixed logging in as non root user.

You may still be able to benefit from later sections of this even though you've alreaady made it to the desktop.

Back