OpenBOX No 3D with cairo-dock

Hello,

I installed openbox with tint2, xcompmgr and cairo-dock. Everything seems to work perfect, but when I went to the appearance section of the cairo-dock settings there was no option for a 3D panel. I tried searching online. Most said it would require an extra applet for cairo-dock, but never said what applet that would be. Any suggestions?

I have a couple of suggestions that are more-like hints which you may experiment. But, I must say right at the beginning, I have never used cairo-dock, so I don't have first experience with it.
1.) Could tint2 and cairo-dock have conflicts (i.e. using some of same dependencies at the same time)?
2.) Review the cairo-dock dependencies with a checklist (i.e. any missing or broken)?
3.) I see there is a port/package called: deskutils/cairo-dock-plugins, maybe install and see if it helps.

Anyway, I really like Openbox as a WM, so hope these hints help you!

Well, I've never used that combination of software on FreeBSD, but its never had a conflict with Linux. I know FreeBSD is not Linux, but I'm just saying I've never seen a problem using these together. I forgot to mention I installed cairo-dock-plugins and tried starting cairo-dock with and without OpenGL. From was I've read, cairo-dock-plugins is the only dependency that should be needed. Most posts I read said it was fixed by adding an extra applet. Again, no one ever said what applet this may be. I'm will to provide any other information that may help.

Yes, Openbox is great :)

Minbari - I just built x11-wm/picom. I put "picom &" inside ~/.config/openbox/autostart and commented out xcompmgr. I tried starting the desktop with both OpenGL and without, but it did not enable 3D. There were also complaints from cairo-dock that a composite manager was needed. So I don't think that would be a fix for this.

twllnbrck - I installed deskutils/cairo-dock, but didn't know anything beyond the defaults would be needed. I rebuilt it with GLX. I found I had to also disable Wayland too or it would not build. I rebuild that way and cairo-dock wouldn't even start. I tried again with "make MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes install clean" and it also failed. Maybe something is missing? I'm not sure.

Back