NFS and users home

Hi,
I have a FreeBSD installed on a machine and have a zpool on which I have created dataset and mounted it on /share, I want to share it with my users like the home-directories (traditional way), but I don't want to create the users instead I want to get the server integrated with the github or google or opnsense's VPN users database and want to have the home-directory get created for the users, for authentication I am thinking if getting the key-based authentication for mounting the home-directory is possible.

Does anyone have any suggestion/advice on whether this is achievable ?

Regards

[…] Does anyone have any suggestion/advice on whether this is achievable ? […]
:-/ Do you have an actual sincere demand for that? Some neat integration adds complexity. Complexity means harder maintenance. The benefit should outweigh the price. If it does not, you are wasting your time. Are your users unknown to you so you cannot make preparations?​
[…] github or google or opnsense's VPN users database […]
Well, they obviously don’t use (bare) traditional UNIX permissions: users and groups are identified by their numeric ID, but there are maybe a few more than UID_MAX users. 😯 You will still need to maintain some mapping if you don’t want to adopt a solution tailored to serving bazillions of users.​
[…] want to have the home-directory get created for the users […]
Usually pam_mkhomedir(8). I prefer enforcing quotas via datasets, though; this cannot be achieved with a simple mkdir.​

Back