nfe0 link state is down. Why? (Solved)

That has nothing to do with your network cards. As I explained earlier localhost is a special hostname, it always refers to the 127.0.0.1 (IPv4) and ::1 (IPv6) IP addresses. And those are always bound to the lo0 interface. That lo0 interface is there, it's not a "real" interface.
I understand the nexus here: ie., the theory, but practising it is something else!

Last edited:
Could someone kindly list, as dot points, the procedure to make localhost:631 work (with nfe0) so that I can get more than just a disjointed appreciation of what is involved & so I can get on with the rest of my life.
Many here have graciously helped with suggestions previously (6 pages worth: em0) but only one suggestion worked, indicating just how complex Unix solutions can be perceived by its user base, even though something like this apparently should be super simple.

Thanks for your understanding.

Sadly I think you've wandered into the deep woods and it might be easier to start from scratch again.

I think you've ended up with a lot of things tweaked, changed, etc. so it's rather difficult to know where to start. This thread also seems to go from NICs to pf and then CUPs etc. so it's a bit jumbled.

If you want an easy desktop user experience - especially with printers - definitely Windows or Mac and maybe Linux.

Under the hood they all work in very similar ways, but Microsoft and Apple have spent billions hiding that.

Sadly I think you've wandered into the deep woods and it might be easier to start from scratch again.

I think you've ended up with a lot of things tweaked, changed, etc. so it's rather difficult to know where to start. This thread also seems to go from NICs to pf and then CUPs etc. so it's a bit jumbled.

If you want an easy desktop user experience - especially with printers - definitely Windows or Mac and maybe Linux.

Under the hood they all work in very similar ways, but Microsoft and Apple have spent billions hiding that.
Thanks. I think I'll stay here, hoping that I will strike a chord that will enlighten me, earlier than later. I'm prepared to go back to square one on my quest for a working nfe0 with localhost:631, hopefully by a logical dot point framework provided by someone here. This is for a second FBSD test box. The jumble you talk of doesn't apply to this new test box & in any event, at worst, its youth can be reclaimed with a quick reinstallation.

My main box has a working em0 & localhost interface, but using that approach hasn't worked for the above nfe0 test box.

Well, please take this as a gentle suggestion - this sort of thing doesn't encourage people to help:
It looks like I'm at last ripe to return to Windoze
For some things, that really might be the best solution.

I've re-read this thread and I'm still confused about what the issue(s) are? Are you happy that nfe0 is a NIC and that it can be used on your network? That seems to be step 1.

(But as others have said, that's nothing to do with localhost and port 631 - that doesn't need the network. But let's start at the beginning!)

Well, please take this as a gentle suggestion - this sort of thing doesn't encourage people to help:

For some things, that really might be the best solution.

I've re-read this thread and I'm still confused about what the issue(s) are? Are you happy that nfe0 is a NIC and that it can be used on your network? That seems to be step 1.

(But as others have said, that's nothing to do with localhost and port 631 - that doesn't need the network. But let's start at the beginning!)
I would expect those comments from a person with your ranking talking to a newbie:) but it's the high priest culture here, fortunately only existing in a very small circle, that seems to want to make things much more difficult than they are, creating a frustration, at a distance, that I wouldn't expect you to understand:).

Believe me I'm no dummy, so try and patronize me for a while, if you will. I hope to get the vibes soon, to every ones' relief.
Thanks for your indulgence.

Could someone kindly list, as dot points, the procedure to make localhost:631 work (with nfe0) so that I can get more than just a disjointed appreciation of what is involved & so I can get on with the rest of my life.
You need to first install cups. See https://docs.freebsd.org/en/articles/cups/ Once cups is properly configured and running it will start listening on port 631.

If cups is listening on localhost:631, nfe0 doesn't matter as cups can only be accessed from the same machine. nfe0 matters only if you want *other* computers on your local network to access the printer. But if you want that, it should be possible to configure cups for that. I haven't done this in over 15 years but if you run into issues, I will be happy to help figure them out.

Ranking? Make things more difficult? Patronize?

I've got CUPS working once on OpenBSD. Now I use a Windows machine or Mac machine for printing.

Scanning was a PITA - so I got a printer that scans to USB and then plug that into whatever computer I'm using.

I've never installed a graphical interface on FreeBSD, nor CUPS. Just trying to help, but you don't appreciate it, so I'll try and help others.

I'm feeding a troll so 🤐

Ranking? Make things more difficult? Patronize?

I've got CUPS working once on OpenBSD. Now I use a Windows machine or Mac machine for printing.

Scanning was a PITA - so I got a printer that scans to USB and then plug that into whatever computer I'm using.

I've never installed a graphical interface on FreeBSD, nor CUPS. Just trying to help, but you don't appreciate it, so I'll try and help others.

I'm feeding a troll so 🤐
You have an attitude problem my friend.I sort of sensed that when you called me out, but I was prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt. Sure enough you showed your colors. Putting 2 & 2 together you saw my posts as an irritant & you were insulted because you see yourself as one of the intolerant high priests. Me! a troll how laughable. I wouldn't know how. That you came out of the wood work to put me down shows you are the one who has a latent troll agenda.
I can only hope your social skills will improve & I hope you feel better about yourself soon.
Help people don't put them down.

You need to first install cups. See https://docs.freebsd.org/en/articles/cups/ Once cups is properly configured and running it will start listening on port 631.

If cups is listening on localhost:631, nfe0 doesn't matter as cups can only be accessed from the same machine. nfe0 matters only if you want *other* computers on your local network to access the printer. But if you want that, it should be possible to configure cups for that. I haven't done this in over 15 years but if you run into issues, I will be happy to help figure them out.
root@Mistletoe:~ # pkg install cups
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
The most recent versions of packages are already installed
root@Mistletoe:~ #

I have configured /etc/rc.conf & etc/pf.conf based on if.config -a

So, what next, thank you.
This is getting tedious for all of us!

Cups is part of 12.2 by default

It's not. It's a port/package, ergo third party software. Nothing outside of the FreeBSD OS is 'default'.
I was basing that on the Distrowatch website that says it is a 12.2 stable package. Apparently, all of the packages listed there are 3rd party, which I was not aware of, except for the office suites, .

I was basing that on the Distrowatch website that says it is a 12.2 stable package
All versions of FreeBSD use one and the same ports tree. So every version has the same applications and versions available to them. Versions of third party applications are not bound to the version of the OS as is the case with a lot of Linux distributions. Besides that, third party applications (aka ports and packages) are not considered part of the OS (that's why they're called third party). Nothing is installed "by default", you have to install everything yourself.

The issue is resolved now. It essentially related to the non-configuration of the file etc/devfs.rules/, which wasn't mentioned in well intentioned replies.
By enlarge, all I wanted to know was what files needed to be configured for success. As it turns out they were rc.conf, pf.conf & devfd.rules, hence my request for a simple dot point guide. That guide unfortunately was not forthcoming :)
My finding really was about as parsimonius as it gets, & excludes the need for, in some cases, complex theoretical diversions. If I had pursued the latter course I would have needed another lifetime to find the answer.-:).

That would be one way to achieve eternal life!

All I really needed to know was how to drive the car, not how components in the engine worked before I could be licensed to get behind the wheel.:)

Back