Newbie to BSD

Hello everyone,

New to BSD and would like to know if a good start is to use PCBSD or should I just hit right into FreeBSD?

Running on a Dell Inspiron E1505.

Thank you in advance,

Joe:stud

Hello Joe;

It's difficult to make suggestions without more information.

Would you rather be up running and quickly with a few clicks of a button, or would you rather spend a little more time tinkering, and as a consequence learning a little more about how things work?

Are you coming from Linux, Windows, Mac?

In a nutshell, PC-BSD automates many tasks for you. For example, third party packages are dealt with a little differently. PC-BSD use something called PBI (Push-Button Installer) package management.

If you are patient, curious and excited to learn more about how a great operating works, I'd say give FreeBSD a shot. Lots of people here will be happy to help when you get stuck.

Hey guys!

Thank you.. I am eager to learn! I at the moment want to have something sorta running but I want to make the most of it and have a understanding. What I have done is on my Dell Inspiron E1505. I will use FreeBSD and on my work laptop a Probook 6465b I will run the VirtualBSD 9.0 package that was put together to be used under VM.

Also.. I was sorta bad =D I printed all 1050 pages of the handbook and will start to read through.

I do come from a MS environment. Have been a tech for over 7years now professionally. I am trying to find focus and really start to key in and specialize.. I am really interested in network security. Not to knock anyone using Linux but with so many distros I feel Unix has a lot more to offer for me and in the future I wish to contribute back to the community.

Thanks to both of you!

Cheers!

Joe

Back