New year resolution: Leave Linux and use FreeBSD

zspider said:
I might of considered OpenVMS, but the hardware is expensive, especially for an OS that looks very much like it's on the way out.

Yeah but we spread this same rumour about FreeBSD. It protects our operating system from bad developers with bad ideas ;)

Btw, what does your old computer smell like when it runs FreeBSD?

Since I start this thread, I'm very happy with my decision!

It change vocation 2 times from a time machine backup server to a VPN server. I bought a Time capsule! Was less expensive than upgrading my server! Today I had a APC UPS to it, took less than 10 minutes to configure.

Hope to upgrade it this year to a 64 bit machine with more disk space!

Morale of the story, It's now running for 3 months and I never used Linux again!

srivo said:
It's now running for 3 month[red]s[/red] and I never used Linux again!
Hank Moody has had some relapses lately (yes, even though I live in Holland we do get that show), but hopefully you can do better. Best of luck and if you have any questions, just post them here on the forums.

Wish FreeBSD has read-write XFS support, could dump remaining Linux installations. Not enough memory in machines for using ZFS but unfortunately UFS is in some ways less capable than XFS

kpedersen said:
Yeah but we spread this same rumour about FreeBSD. It protects our operating system from bad developers with bad ideas ;)

Btw, what does your old computer smell like when it runs FreeBSD?

Heh, yeah, anything that keeps the plague away is generally a good thing and this is no exception.

My computer smells like a normal computer, but that deskridden T61p gave off a burnt hair smell a few months back.:)

The Giant is Unlocked

Congratulations, pal!

I moved from Windows to FreeBSD recently, and I'm discovering the true power of serious computing.

I'm satisfied with my experience (though I didn't expect it being so hard as it actually is) so far.

Although configurations are not as trivial as they are in for-dummies systems like Windows or MacOS (with notable exceptions, of course), the logic and the scheme behind the process is clear.

I've flirted with Linuxes for years, and even had a copy of a FreeBSD 4.x but never installed it, before I really decided to switch to FreeBSD. Linux is great, but I think I like more pure, traditional systems, and most Linux distributions out there are like computer-candy or computer science students' playground rather than a serious place for learn how to participate and contribute seriously to the free software community. But that's only my opinion, don't take it to a personal level if you completely disagree with it. :)

Now that you are a "FreeBSDer" the giant is unlocked.�e

Back