New year resolution: Leave Linux and use FreeBSD

This is my new year resolution.

I have been using Linux for more than 5 years. Two years ago I start experimenting with FreeBSD. I took me a while to really understand how the system work. But I definitely think that FreeBSD beat any other system for server. The new PCBSD install software make installing the system with ZFS and beadm very easy and fast! Best of all I don't want any other file system than ZFS. It's easy to use and it's very reliable!

In fact, Windows and Linux are slowly leaving my home. I bought a MacbookPro for Laptop and will do the same for my wife. FreeBSD server make a good Time Machine!

So today him converting my home server to a FreeBSD server!

Happy new year!

srivo said:
This is my new year resolution.
[snip]
So today him converting my home server to a FreeBSD server!
Congratulations on that. I myself "converted" from Linux to FreeBSD somewhere around the late '90s (the FreeBSD 3.X era) and except for a brief attempt to see the logic (or with hindsight: lack thereof) of Slackware I've never looked back.

Good luck in the FreeBSD world,

Fonz

Welcome @srivo!

A blessed purpose:

Hope that FreeBSD will increment day by day with +1 new member (lower estimation), IMHO need inquisitive/funny/mysterious...blah...blah...blah people :e

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to our community of grumpy users of a dying operating system. We are still celebrating the birth of a new release, please don't forget to taste the cake :)
I wish you a Happy New Year, enjoy your stay... Bartender, beer for all!

I've been using Linux for the last ten years (Slackware since the last seven or eight)
Last year, I also began using OpenBSD as a small home server.

Tried FreeBSD last year and will give it a bigger chance in 2013, maybe to replace a Linux server at office.

Well, so far my FreeBSD ZFS serveur is running like a charm! Uptime is now close to 3 days!

With my Ubuntu server, I was having connection problem with AFP from time to time... Never happen so far with FreeBSD. I'm using it mostly as a time machine.

What I expect also with FreeBSD is less frequent need to reboot after upgrade!

Cheers!

srivo said:
What I expect also with FreeBSD is less frequent need to reboot after upgrade!
In FreeBSD world its simple, if You update the kernel, You have to reboot to make the changes take effect, if You do not update the kernel, You do not have to reboot.

For most of the time, kernel updates are done because of security advisories, which are not that often in FreeBSD world ;)

I have moved away from Windows pretty much a home in a similar fashion.

FreeNAS for bulk storage, OS X on the desktop, FreeBSD for any servers I run (also anything internet facing at work).

My name server currently has 180 days of uptime - last reboot was due to upgrading to (or patching, I forget) 8.3 :)

I've already done the move. The only non-FreeBSD, non-OS X system I have is windows 8 on parallels desktop for mac. Yes, it's only for games :)

drhowarddrfine said:
When you get past the three year mark, then we'll talk. :)
About the importance of occasionally applying security patches, I presume?

Fonz

P.S. Disclaimer: No insult, disrespect or humour intended. I merely mean to as politely as possible point out that ex mea sententia uptime is overrated and that a machine that has been (uninterruptedly) running for years hasn't been updated in years either.

FreeBSD rules!

Hi, everyone! Happy New Year!

FreeBSD rules! ;)
Everyday, time to time, I use Mac OS X 10.4, 10.6, 10.7, Windows XP, 7, FreeBSD 7,8,9.
Sometimes in past I used Ubuntu and Debian distros. But after installing Ubuntu Quantal... I think I like FreeBSD! Gnome 3 works with delays on my Lenovo ThinkPad e530. I think GUI, no problems. ;)

Now FreeBSD is my favorite OS.

You have come at a difficult time but the great task that lies ahead: improve our systems is our deal because for us is possible.

FreeBSD rocks! ;)

cpu82 said:
You have come at a difficult time but the great task that lies ahead: improve our systems is our deal because for us is possible.

FreeBSD rocks! ;)

Now I'm curious... why is this a difficult time? :)

About false rumours leadered for hate campaigns about state FreeBSD... The Community had to grit the teeth
devilgrin.gif
to remind them what happens to those who lie to attack... always lose.

Recently we had to give them hell fire... they fear.

FreeBSD is already working out just fine for me, and this is my first year using it.
But I think I'll continue using Linux alongside FreeBSD for a long time.
But FreeBSD is still my favorite.

fonz said:
Congratulations on that. I myself "converted" from Linux to FreeBSD somewhere around the late '90s (the FreeBSD 3.X era) and except for a brief attempt to see the logic (or with hindsight: lack thereof) of Slackware I've never looked back.

Good luck in the FreeBSD world,

Fonz

Ditto.

I actually started with slackware in '96 and moved to FreeBSD in 2001 after a stint with redhat 4.1-6.2 and Debian unstable.

It was like coming home.

So long as you don't expect it to work like Linux, you'll be fine. It's also a very good match for OS X on the client :)

dclau said:
Welcome to our community of grumpy users of a dying operating system. We are still celebrating the birth of a new release, please don't forget to taste the cake :)
I wish you a Happy New Year, enjoy your stay... Bartender, beer for all!

For a second I thought you were talking about OpenVMS fogies. Yes, they're still around. All 3 of them :)

ph0enix said:
For a second I thought you were talking about OpenVMS fogies. Yes, they're still around. All 3 of them :)

I was actually considering buying an HP Itanium workstation a month or so ago to run OpenVMS for Itanium :)

I haven't used Linux in about 3 years, In March it will be the 3rd anniversary of my transfer to FreeBSD. I am moving away from Windows as well, I don't plan on upgrading to 8 and if they mess up 9, it's over, if it isn't already.

I have one Windows 7 laptop and a 10 year old relic with Windows XP that is good for old games and makes the room smell good. My file server runs FreeNAS. I spend most of my time on FreeBSD(9.1), which is on a new ASUS laptop, connected to a keyboard, mouse and a 1600x900 monitor. :)

I might of considered OpenVMS, but the hardware is expensive, especially for an OS that looks very much like it's on the way out.

roddierod said:
I was actually considering buying an HP Itanium workstation a month or so ago to run OpenVMS for Itanium :)

To do anything useful or for fun? If the latter, an emulator will be cheaper. I used an Alpha one to play with 8.4 (Personal Alpha), I think.

ph0enix said:
To do anything useful or for fun? If the latter, an emulator will be cheaper. I used an Alpha one to play with 8.4 (Personal Alpha), I think.

I was going to actually give it a go as a desktop just to see if it could be used. I got two Alpha servers in my basement...one was running a website until about 2 years ago.

Back