New subforums

I posted to the ports list that maybe a subforum for (www, devel, etc.) each port section could exist so persons could post fixes, questions, workarounds in a more direct and recent way than posting to the list, also lessening the number of posts to the list vs to the forum. Then, browsing to a Linux forum which I skim daily, there is "multimedia", "games", etc. Checking the board index here, if I was initially visiting before an install, I'd see no direct mention of games, email, browsers, etc. So maybe a slew of subsections such as:

MAIL
discussions relating to email, webmail, mail servers, graphical and text-based clients, spam filtering

and the like, would serve to inform the casual visitor that FreeBSD is worthy or their time and effort as well as rewarding in the probably resultant everyday usage.

Further thoughts: a clickable image of the forums one could view directly from FreeBSD.org. To be informative to those who might click on it, next to it a prominent link "This short list of computer components does not work with FreeBSD..." may be reassuring to most, saving time for the few who own hardware already or are about to acquire some. But maybe that's an entirely different topic...

I browsed to that page to check the validity. It appears to maybe ve worthwhile, next to a LARGE font: "Be sure to skim our online handbook (link at the right) and FAQ! " (So four testable ideas in FreeBSD's favor, possibly.)

Back