New install 13.1 wrong WM / wrong user

This is probably too simple for some of you, but my excuse is I don't do fresh installs very often (less than once a year).
Recently, I installed a new version of 13.1 with no real dramas, but I must have missed something, because at the end of the boot process, I am asked to log in (?)
Anyway, if I log into my user account, I get the TWM window manager, but if I log in as root, I get Plasma5.
Never seen this before, and am mystified as to where to start to re-configure to more normal behaviour.

Many thanks and apologies for my complete newbieness on the subject.

I don't use a graphical environment on FreeBSD so not sure this will help or not:

About 3/4s of the way down there's this bit:

A second method for launching KDE Plasma is to type startx from the command line. For this to work, the following line is needed in ~/.xinitrc:

exec ck-launch-session startplasma-x11

So what's in your ~/.xinitrc for your user account?

Thanks, I will have a look later. However, I've looked in my running (endlessly updated) 13.1 and there is no /.xinitrc present.
No doubt this'll turn out quite simply in the end.
Thanks.

If there's no .xinitrc then create one.

That's why you are getting TWM for the user - it is the default if nothing else is specified.

If you look at /root/.xinitrc you'll probably see the line required to start Plasma5.

Copy the contents from /root/.xinitrc to a new file for the other user in that user's home directory.

(I think - this is going off what the manual says plus what you've described.)

If there's no .xinitrc then create one.

That's why you are getting TWM for the user - it is the default if nothing else is specified.

If you look at /root/.xinitrc you'll probably see the line required to start Plasma5.

Copy the contents from /root/.xinitrc to a new file for the other user in that user's home directory.

(I think - this is going off what the manual says plus what you've described.)
Yup. Worked - and now I have my workstation back.
Thanks very much.
It's still not right though - there are too many steps and Plasma takes an age to start.
Will look again tomorrow.
However, thanks again.

Back