Other New FreeBSD Load - Cinnamon desktop not working

Let me predicate this post with a note for those who would throw unrelated operating systems or desktops as answers. If you don't have experience with this EXACT scenario, please do not respond.

Fresh load of FreeBSD 11.1 from DVD#1 with ZFS file system. I found the /usr/ports, and loaded the various packages I anticipated would be needed. However did not get a GUI when startx was entered.

Loaded Xorg, and when startx was entered got the PRIMITIVE & useless non gui screens we've all seen before.

Did a lot of reading... https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=206633 was almost informative. And following their instructions I got Gnome desktop to start. However that was not my intention. HELP !

Thought Cinnamon was a part of Gnome3 so loaded that from /usr/ports/x11 as well.

Have checked ~/.xinitrc and cinnamon.session files. Appears like they are calling for cinnamon all right. However Gnome continues to dominate.

Way back in my early days of messing with Linux I remember a desktop switching thing. Can't remember what it is... (memory is the 2nd thing to go you know).

As well the best resolution I can get is 1024x768 on my 5:4 monitor. I may load the nVidia driver to see if that fixes the problem.

Dave

Let me predicate this post with a note for those who would throw unrelated operating systems or desktops as answers. If you don't have experience with this EXACT scenario, please do not respond.

Fresh load of FreeBSD 11.1 from DVD#1 with ZFS file system. I found the /usr/ports, and loaded the various packages I anticipated would be needed. However did not get a GUI when startx was entered.

Loaded Xorg, and when startx was entered got the PRIMITIVE & useless non gui screens we've all seen before.

Did a lot of reading... https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=206633 was almost informative. And following their instructions I got Gnome desktop to start. However that was not my intention. HELP !

Thought Cinnamon was a part of Gnome3 so loaded that from /usr/ports/x11 as well.

Have checked ~/.xinitrc and cinnamon.session files. Appears like they are calling for cinnamon all right. However Gnome continues to dominate.

Way back in my early days of messing with Linux I remember a desktop switching thing. Can't remember what it is... (memory is the 2nd thing to go you know).

As well the best resolution I can get is 1024x768 on my 5:4 monitor. I may load the nVidia driver to see if that fixes the problem.

Dave

As far as I know, Cinnamon doesn't work on FreeBSD right now. It looks for its themes, and can't find them.

Back