New Forum Members

Have read the forum for years, but never registered. I recently followed the thread about the Spectre/Meltdown issues and it has been enlightening - some of the best discourse I've seen on that subject. Discussion elsewhere, particularly on Linux fora, has been "a bit chaotic" in comparison.

So registered recently, but nothing much to post about... my stuff works and the users here can certainly answer FreeBSD related questions better than I can.

I use OpenBSD mainly, DragonFly and FreeBSD also, but less so. All good OS. Only a hobby for me though, in professional life it's MS Windows.

I started with Linux in 2002, watched it evolve and decided to give up on it altogether back in 2012 (I think 8.3-release was my first crack at FreeBSD). Most Linux distributions these days just seem to focus on complex "automagic". There are something like 20 distributions, the other few thousand are just distributions based on distributions (based on distributions), where the difference is often a few preinstalled packages, a fancy desktop wallpaper, a funny name and a logo... and of course since the complex init system replacement monstrosity came along, I've no real desire to ever revisit.

So registered recently, but nothing much to post about... my stuff works and the users here can certainly answer FreeBSD related questions better than I can.
Glad you decided to join. Your screen name looks familiar. Daemonforums?

Most Linux distributions these days just seem to focus on complex "automagic". There are something like 20 distributions, the other few thousand are just distributions based on distributions (based on distributions), where the difference is often a few preinstalled packages ...

It's funny how your entire ideology can change, and then you wonder how you ever could have "thought that way." I was groomed in the proprietary software world, so far back it's hard to remember, but "automagic" was considered good in the old thought process. It was less work of course. We never gave a thought to the question of whether or not the work the magic did (and that we happily offloaded) was for the good or not.

Today, for me, magic=BAD. The "old me" now seems like an ignorant catatoniac.

A little magic is good as it can save some wear and tear behind the keyboard, but too much can also be a problem. I think FreeBSD has the right balance there. I can do what I want without running into walls. The system I was using before was giving my trouble that way, too much automation forcing me to compromise on how I want things to work.

I'm predominantly a Windows user and have been for the past many years. I've used BSD a bit around version 8 and didn't start using it seriously until around 10 for more server applications. I'm not happy with where Microsoft is taking Windows, 100% CPU+disk+network allocation to updates is an example, as well as its treatment towards professional users. So my migratory solution has been gradually switching my workstations to BSD. I choose BSD because it's very stable, it runs very nice, very organized file system, and is very well documented. I found as I used BSD for more complicated things I had more questions I needed to research. Eventually that lead me to joining the forums and posing my own questions for things.

... I choose BSD because it's very stable, it runs very nice, very organized file system, and is very well documented. I found as I used BSD for more complicated things I had more questions I needed to research. Eventually that lead me to joining the forums and posing my own questions for things.

Yes, the FreeBSD forum is a much better place to ask a question than the Microsoft "help" Wizard!

Back