Solved Network setup

As we are in covid lockdown I have had time to run install comparisons with different OS eg manjaro garuda ghost netbsd solus hello nitrux and a couple of others. The interesting point is that most find the network and connect to the dhcp server. I have tried freebsd only to install the pkg and realtek to get the re0="DHCP" working. I am happy to do this but if I use Manjaro as the example it finds the network in the install process. This is not a complaint but more a request. In FBSD 14 can we see an improved hardware search and and network set up process. Not many newbies will have the time.
Leigh Horton

I have tried freebsd only to install the pkg and realtek to get the re0="DHCP" working.
The version of FreeBSD you used simply hasn't included that driver yet. So it's not recognized. You therefor had to install a third-party driver to get it working.

I am happy to do this but if I use Manjaro as the example it finds the network in the install process.
Manjoro has the correct driver for your card included. And so it's able to recognize and configure it during the setup process.

This is not a complaint but more a request.
I'm unclear what exactly you're requesting here.

In FBSD 14 can we see an improved hardware search and and network set up process.
And it'll be released some time in the future. For now it's still an unstable development version.

Well what I am asking is hardware search. If it is in the soon to be released FBSD 14 then this will help newbies. It will be timely. New hardware changes I realise but my plan is to work with FBSD.

Well what I am asking is hardware search.
I don't think you quite understand how drivers (and thus hardware detection) work on Linux or BSD. Hardware is detected if a driver for it is included. If there's no driver, or if the existing drivers don't recognize your variant, then the hardware isn't detected. It's as simple as that.

You mentioned you needed to install net/realtek-re-kmod to get your card working, but you failed to mention exactly what card you have. So I cannot verify if that card is supported or not, in any version of FreeBSD.

but if I use Manjaro as the example it finds the network in the install process.

During installation: When a compatible LAN or WLAN card is found, you can select it and then you will be asked if you want to set it up. Unfortunately, this can be a problem if the modules of the card (on which you depend) are still in the ports or not available at all and thus in the worst case makes a setup after the installation impossible.

Example:

iu

I don't think you quite understand how drivers (and thus hardware detection) work on Linux or BSD. Hardware is detected if a driver for it is included. If there's no driver, or if the existing drivers don't recognize your variant, then the hardware isn't detected. It's as simple as that.

You mentioned you needed to install net/realtek-re-kmod to get your card working, but you failed to mention exactly what card you have. So I cannot verify if that card is supported or not, in any version of FreeBSD.
I have successfully installed realtek-re-kmod v196.04_3.txz and pkg-1.17.3.txz and have the card working. My point is future hardware search. The card and the motherboard lan are not recognised by the ipv4 search function motherboard is B550 Aorus Elite V2

My point is future hardware search.
You're still not understanding how hardware is detected. It doesn't work the way you think it does.

The card and the motherboard lan are not recognised by the ipv4 search function
If there's no driver for the hardware then you won't be able to configure the network, not that hard to understand how that relation works.

B550 Aorus Elite V2
Ok, that's something to go on. Unfortunately it doesn't actually tell me what the exact chipset is the network interface uses. But I gather from the specs it's a 2.5GbE Realtek. FreeBSD basically skipped the whole 2.5Gbps range of network cards. The whole world actually, 10Gbps or higher is more common. Weirdly enough some desktop mainboard manufactures have recently started using that weird 2.5Gbps intermediate standard now. There's some work being done on getting the Intel 2.5Gbps network card drivers to work, those should work with 13-STABLE and will therefor be available in the upcoming 13.1-RELEASE. Don't know the status of Realtek 2.5GbE driver support.

Back