Network configuration problem?

have configured network in freebsd8 on amd 64 machine with ADSL2+router modem. Following is the configuration done in /etc/rc.conf

Code:
ifconfig_em0="inet 192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"

But Internet is still not working. Is there any thing else to be done? How do i know if the modem is supported or not?

Thanks in advance
Bijoy

network configuration problem

in btw, i use BSNL Broadband services and the modem they supplied is
Model: UT300R2U of the Company UTStarcom and it is ADSL2 + Router

/etc/resolv.conf put the ip address of your dns server here.
man resolv.conf for further reading.

Have configured DNS through Sysinstall yesterday. pinging IP(192.168.1.3) and gateway(192.168.1.1) is done properly but pinging DNS(218.248.255.146) is throwing up "Destination Net unreachable" error.

On the other side, Modem is indicating green light for Power, DSL and Ethernet properly but not blinking for Internet.

Thanking you

Bijoy

bijoy_franco said:
On the other side, Modem is indicating green light for Power, DSL and Ethernet properly but not blinking for Internet.
Your modem isn't logged in on the internet.

Login on your modem, see if it's online or not. In any case, it's not a FreeBSD problem.

is there any chance that the modem is not supported by the OS. My modem is Model: UT300R2U of the Company UTStarcom and it is ADSL2 + Router

Since i dont have Xorg installed, i cannot login the web interface of modem anyway.Can i login through the terminal. Pls bear with me as i am newb.

The modem/router is irrelevant went it comes to FreeBSD. It supplies a standard ethernet TCP/IP connection.

Read the manual of your modem on how you can configure it.

Back