Netflix

Is it possible to watch Netflix using FreeBSD?

I managed to logon via Chrome but get an error which mentions checking chrome://components and looking for WidevineCdm but I don't see that.

Has anyone had any success with Netflix?

There is a howto on these forums, that has been tested by many, by patovm04 about installing chrome (not chromium) and/or the brave browser, using Linux emulation. Using either of these will enable you to watch Netflix on FreeBSD.

Somewhat ironically, though FreeBSD is used by Netflix, I think they are even a donor, without use of Linux emulation, you can't use it to watch Netflix. (FreeBSD is used, I think, only for content delivery.Linux is used for storage. I'm too lazy to startpage* this and I may be remembering it wrong.)

* I use startpage, rather than google, and therefore, try to avoid the verb "google".

There is a howto on these forums, that has been tested by many, by patovm04 about installing chrome (not chromium) and/or the brave browser, using Linux emulation. Using either of these will enable you to watch Netflix on FreeBSD.

Somewhat ironically, though FreeBSD is used by Netflix, I think they are even a donor, without use of Linux emulation, you can't use it to watch Netflix. (FreeBSD is used, I think, only for content delivery.Linux is used for storage. I'm too lazy to startpage* this and I may be remembering it wrong.)

* I use startpage, rather than google, and therefore, try to avoid the verb "google".
The problem is:
Widevine is from google. If you ask google, they'll say "the developers that use widevine should ask this", so you ask netflix and "google should provide that".

Back