Need suggestion for static site gen

If I have a free site it will be through Awardspace.com because "free is free" is to them as it is to me. They don't use your free site as an ad display ploy, don't inject code that invalidates my XHTML and no ads are displayed on the site you don't put there yourself.

I use some 'suckless' tool.
Saait :
SMU to convert markdown and sxiv with script to push images into a directory (you can chose multiple pictures and press cmd-x + [any] to launch a script for you.
It probably can be better, but as I use npm, node, JavaScript, react and 'design system' at work, i really like the suckless approach at home !

I do actually quite like this. Though I can't quite understand the point of markdown / lowdown in this mix. For example:
And for the complex things that HTML makes fairly horrible, markdown can't do anyway (or falls back to HTML).
So true. Markdown is only useful for quick-and-dirty things like READMEs and maybe as wiki markup. It's woefully inadequate as a general markup language.
I am not much of a web developer so my advice is probably not ideal but I personally use m4 and the rest of the UNIX stack. You can check out my sites Makefile here:

Much as I despise m4, it might be the best tool for this job (yes, I looked.) Your link 404s, unfortunately.
Admittedly we are looking to get a rewrite by a proper designer in the coming months with one of our next releases. They will probably drag in 12 different scripting languages and half of the CPAN / PIP. Probably chuck some Rust and crates.io in there for good measure ;)
Get ready to wait 5-10 minutes for npm to "initialize". I dunno or care what it's doing that takes so long. Probably downloading crucial dependencies like left-pad, for example.

m4 and markdown did not have the same scope.
For me markdown is here to ensure that the content of my page is simple
So my "main content" is limited with markdown + script (to inject images as an example).

m4 is a better tool to include subparts as an example.
But for that, I use .shtml (render instead build).

m4 is a good tool as a replacement for the two features.

Your link 404s, unfortunately.
Yeah, Microsoft has been dicking about with GitHub accounts trying to enforce their broken authentication schemes and 2FA so I am in the process of moving things about.

It wasn't that impressive so nothing has really been missed ;)

I disliked m4 for a long while because I saw how utterly broken it was in GNU autotools. However if you use it from scratch as a tiny trivial preprocessor (without all the terrible crap), it is very workable.

Back