Need new laptop 11-13" i-series with Nvidia, suspend, wireless and lan support

adamk said:
The vesa specification is very basic, and so is the driver. It's designed to get people working with minimal graphics support. Usually just long enough to install a driver native to the GPU. It's certainly not intended for every day use.

Adam

That is unfortunate. This Optimus enabled chip prevents me from using it in FreeBSD. And as of now the Intel GMA HD igpu is not supported either. Once it is, I will be fine. I am actually googling it now to see if I can find any info about it and an ETA.

Unfortunately, there is no ETA on it. Before newer Intel GPUs can be supported, kernel modesetting has to be added to the FreeBSD DRM drivers. Last I heard, the FreeBSD Foundation was looking for someone to work on it, but hadn't found anyone yet.

ADam

While I could be wrong about this, I don't think it will do you much good since the work was geared specifically at the older GPUs, and you're using the latest cutting edge GPU from Intel. Let us know how you make out.

Adam

i thought that too, but the mailing list message from Kris Moore of PC-BSD gives me hope. I am going to try it right after I finally eat something today. Amazing how time flies while having your nose buried in a computer. lol

Quick question... I did not find it in the ports, so I will download it from this site. Do I need to do anything special to get it to load? Should I get rid of the current intel driver first?

I have downloaded the zip file of the legacy driver. How do I install the driver from here? I have only installed ports. Should I also delete the current intel driver so there is no confusion?

Yes, I would uninstall the driver from ports.

Usually installing a xorg video driver outside of the ports tree is something along the lines of:

Code:
tar xzvf xf86-video-intel-blahblahblah.tgz
cd xf86-video-intel-blahblahblah
./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-xorg-module-dir=/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules
make
make install

I am sorry for being so dense. I am getting stuck after changing directories. The configuration is stumping me. ./configure is an unknown command.

"configure" doesn't exist in the new directory? If not, how about "autogen.sh"? If that exists, run it instead.

Adam

Ok thank you. And I actually type out "--with-xorg-moduleblahblahblah?" on the previous one or just ./autogen.sh /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules

Dave

When doing the macros, just [cmd=""]./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local[/cmd] should work. When doing the driver, use the command I gave in the directions above, but just replace ./configure with ./autogen.sh. The rest of the command would stay the same.

Adam

Trap 9 kernel dump and reboot on the "autogen" with the intel driver. Perhaps that was the latter code you had mentioned that caused it to error out?

Could be... Maybe... Perhaps :)

You actually got it to compile and tried using it. You already know more about this updated UMS driver than I do :)

Adam

I reran it without the latter portion and it configured up until I got this
Code:
configure: error: cannot run /usr/local/bin/bash ./config.sub

I am unable to "make" it at this point. Argh. I would really like to figure this thing out, so that with A LOT of your help, I will have actually made a contribution to the FreeBSD community.

It looks like this driver might need to run from a prior version of X server. I think until this issue gets resolved, I will just switch back to Linux for my laptop. The legacy driver also does not support acceleration of any type 2D or 3D, so it really is a waste of system resources. But I have learned so much so far, so I am going to make a gateway/server and it will run FreeBSD. The architecture on my old desktop is perfect for FreeBSD, though I may need to add a bit of RAM. Thank you for your patience and all your help.
Dave

adamk said:
Sure. I've seen suspend work a lot on FreeBSD. It's resume that's the tricky part :)

Adam

I would love to be able to use FreeBSD on my systems, but this issue pretty much kills it for me. Laptop+nvidia+resume do not play well together.

Back