Need Explanation About Software Installation

I am very new here, and also new to the *BSD family. Just installed PCBSD, and decided that I don't like their package management system, so I want to do it the FreeBSD way, if that's possible. I can even install a clean FreeBSD 9.0 if need be, I don't care.

I come from the Debian Linux world. So while posing questions, I will try to link stuff with Debian methods.

Questions:

1. How do I update ports? Like in Debian's "apt-get update"? Is this done with freebsd-update fetch?

2. How do I update the system using new releases from ports? Like in Debian's "apt-get upgrade"? I used freebsd-update install after doing a freebsd-update fetch like in the first question. Is everything up-to-date now?

3. How do I switch to a newer release? Like in Debian's "apt-get dist-upgrade"? I saw something with an "-r" switch to the freebsd-update command. Is this relevant?

4. How do I add a new package? Like in Debian's "apt-get install stuff"? Should I use the ports approach or the package approach on my (slowish) netbook? Do I lose on much if I use packages?

5. Just today I installed chromium using pkg_add -r chromium. Now I want to wipe it and use the ports method, just to learn the new things. But when I input pkg_delete chromium it says that it cannot find a package called chromium. How come?

6. How do I search the ports? Listing all the ports webpage and going from there didn't work as I expected, as it caused Chromium to cripple while opening that list. And it's not very searchable anyways. The relevant command in Debian would be "apt-cache search stuff".

7. Is there a GUI to do all this on my PC-BSD 9.0RC3? So far I have tried "bpm" and "bxpkg" without success. Former said there were errors and just shut down. Latter said that it couldn't find a release called "9.0RC3". Is it high or something? I use LXDE, if that's of importance.

Phew! So many questions. But I am kinda geeky and want to know all things related to FreeBSD, and thought this would be the starting point.

PS: I googled for each of the questions and cannot find satisfactory answers. Maybe I don't know where to look, maybe there is nothing where I look. So please help me out!

Oh yes, I am aware of the existence of the Handbook. I have read the relevant parts too. But couldn't get a clear answer. Hence my post. Please understand. Thanks.

I'd search this forum rather than google. Paragraphs of explanation, entire threads even, are available explaining
Code:
 portmaster , buildworld, etc...
but be sure to have backups. (More hints, search the term "reboots" and a few of the threads will have information. Even the stuff not relevant will be informative about other stuff usually.)

Majorix said:
1. How do I update ports? Like in Debian's "apt-get update"? Is this done with "freebsd-update fetch"?
First
# portsnap fetch extract
and subsequently
# portsnap fetch update

Even better, use the following script to keep your ports up-to-date: http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?p=39092&postcount=37
2. How do I update the system using new releases from ports? Like in Debian's "apt-get upgrade"? I used "freebsd-update install" after doing a "freebsd-update fetch" like in the first question. Is everything up-to-date now?
freebsd-update(8): "fetch and install binary updates to FreeBSD". So it is not related to the ports.
3. How do I switch to a newer release? Like in Debian's "apt-get dist-upgrade"? I saw something with an -r switch to the freebsd-update command. Is this relevant?
The -r switch is part of freebsd-update(8).
4. How do I add a new package? Like in Debian's "apt-get install stuff"? Should I use the ports approach or the package approach on my (slowish) netbook? Do I lose on much if I use packages?
Use ports-mgmt/portmaster: portmaster(8).
# whereis <port>
# portmaster -dbvP <category>/<port>
You may want to check out the -PP switch.
5. Just today I installed chromium using "pkg_add -r chromium". Now I want to wipe it and use the ports method, just to learn the new things. But when I input "pkg_delete chromium" it says that it cannot find a package called chromium. How come?
Include the category or version number and it might work. Or:
# portmaster -e <port>
6. How do I search the ports? Listing all the ports webpage and going from there didn't work as I expected, as it caused Chromium to cripple while opening that list. And it's not very searchable anyways. The relevant command in Debian would be "apt-cache search stuff".
Try http://www.freshports.org/.
PS: I googled for each of the questions and cannot find satisfactory answers. Maybe I don't know where to look, maybe there is nothing where I look. So please help me out!

What did you Google? Most of this information is readily available. Am thinking about writing a small guide because these questions keep popping up every other day on the forums. The Handbook might be slightly arcane.

Please read the articles mentioned in FreeBSD? So, what is it? to get a clear understanding of the essential difference between the FreeBSD base system (handled by e.g. freebsd-update, but there are other methods) and third-party applications (a.k.a. ports and packages) which do not mix with the base system in any way, and have their own set of tools (like e.g. portsnap, pkg_add, etc.). FreeBSD is not just a kernel, with everything else being an add-on (known in its entirety as a 'distro'). It's an entire operating system (kernel + userland), which can be added to using external applications (ports/packages). They are separate entities, with separate tools.

Thanks everyone for the reply! I got most of the info I needed!

@DutchDaemon:
Those are really good references. Thanks for pointing them out. I read all of them except for 2 that didn't interest me.

Back