nanobsd not booting

After creating nanobsd image with default config and install to flash drive:
Code:
cd /usr/src/tools/tools/nanobsd
sh nanobsd
dd if=/usr/obj/nanobsd.full/_.disk.full of=/dev/da0 bs=64k

This flash drive with nanobsd is not booting. What am I not doing correctly?

PS: in BIOS set boot from usb, tested on 3 notebooks and 1 laptop.

Building nanobsd on 8.1 i386. Booting not starting. After turning on the laptop I choose to boot from usb, but no boot on usb flash. Maybe boot loader not have on usb?

Flash has slice
da0s1
da0s2
da0s3

But not have loader.

dd of=.... wrote loader or not?

Attempting booting on
amd neo II k125
intel atom 270
core 2 duo

I've never played with nanobsd but if the stick has multiple slices you may need to mark the slice it boots from 'active'. I have, on several occasions, forgotten to do this with 'regular' harddrives and the system simply refused to boot from it.

NanoBSD builds its images with MBR partition tables written in a way that might be incompatible with USB flash drive booting...

How manualy write mbr on flash drive?
To use different drives, Kingston 1 GB and transсend 2GB, but none of them are not loaded

NanoBSD uses the serial console as output per default. Try to set NANO_BOOTLOADER to boot/boot0 for VGA output.

Edit:
  • Which device node is assigned to your usb drive?
  • Can you mount the usb drive on a running system?
mousaka

I assume you can successfully boot from other USB devices. E.g. try the memstick Image from FreeBSD with the same flash drive.

The dd command should write the correct MBR as well.

Did you set NANO_BOOTLOADER to boot/boot0 or have a serial connection established during boot?
Else you won't see receive any information before your windows installation starts.

Try to load your flash drive with the NanoBSD image as memory device to check the image is written right to the drive.

manefesto said:
How manualy write mbr on flash drive?
You can modify the MBR in the disk image by creating an MD device of it:

Code:
mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /path/to/image/file

The above command will output the MD device node, eg. md0. From there you can edit the MBR with fdisk(8), gpart(8), etc. by referencing /dev/md0.

When you're done:

Code:
mdconfig -d -u 0

(-u 0 assumes the MD device is md0)

aragon said:
You can modify the MBR in the disk image by creating an MD device of it:

Code:
mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /path/to/image/file

The above command will output the MD device node, eg. md0. From there you can edit the MBR with fdisk(8), gpart(8), etc. by referencing /dev/md0.

When you're done:

Code:
mdconfig -d -u 0

(-u 0 assumes the MD device is md0)

Im do that. I'm doing that. NanoBSD boot,[ ]but no is not working. trying Trying [to] boot from hard drive, [did] not create md volume. Maybe [I'll] try install[ing] freebsd FreeBSD on flash.

manefesto said:
NanoBSD boot,but no working.
What is not working?
manefesto said:
trying boot from hard drive, not create md volume.
The memory device (md) can only be used within a running system, not as boot device. This give you only the possibility to edit the image (/usr/obj/nanobsd.full/_.disk.full) before writing it to the flash disk (before dd command).

mousaka

Back