Mysql Not Starting

I am having issues getting mysql starting on FreeBSD 8.0. I am using the ports directory to install mysql. Mysql seems to not understand my my.cnf. I am using the newest stable version of mysql.

I am getting the following error.

Code:
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/db/mysql/mysql
STOPPING server from pid file /var/run/mysqld/mysql.pid
100826 12:51:14  mysqld ended

A copy of my.cnf is also in this attachment.

Attachments

• mycnf.txt
    5 KB · Views: 348
ssarkarnetip said:
Mysql seems to not understand my my.cnf. I am using the newest stable version of mysql.

Did you put my.cnf in the right place for FreeBSD? Config files are usually in a subdir of /usr/local/etc.

da1 answer should fix your problem.

---
@wblock

The start script runs the mysqld with
Code:
--defaults-extra-file=${mysql_dbdir}/my.cnf
, so the my.cnf should be in your mysql_dbdir which is /var/db/mysql as default.

Example files for the my.cnf can be found in /usr/local/share/mysql.

Code:
ls /usr/local/share/mysql | grep my-
my-huge.cnf
my-innodb-heavy-4G.cnf
my-large.cnf
my-medium.cnf
my-small.cnf

I tried these. Everything is in the right area. Can you check my.cnf? I put that file there. Should I try a new my.cnf file?

I got it working. I did change the mysql folder to the create permissions. I also had to change the following as well.
/usr/local/libexec/mysqld

I had to rerun mysql_install_db as well. I change the permission on that file to mysql as well.
I also changed the ownership of /tmp to mysql. I was wondering if this would be a permissions problem to keep /tmp owned by mysql.

Don't do that. The typical permissions for /tmp are achieved by chmod 1777 /tmp.

Back