my experience

BeautifulFish said:
i DO get it
i already know that firefox 3 is ported, why isn't it in the DVD? i don't even wanna know.

Why, my 14 month old daughter can give you answer to that question.
FreeBSD was released 1st of May and Firefox was released a week ago. FreeBSD DVD release was created in April.

By the way, somebody just pointed out to me that 7.2 and above DOES include implementation of 32 bit Jails on amd64. The same is true for NetBSD 5.0.

7.2 CD ISOs contain less than 700 packages. They just provide you with the most useful packages for a quick start -- mainly Xorg and the 2 most popular desktop environments.

If you check the ports page, you can see FreeBSD now has 20299 ports. How many ISOs does this make?

Beastie, i didn't ask for them all to be included, just the latest stable version of the essential packages.

no problem Oko :)

i read a little about 32 bit Jails on amd64..
is it practical to run X in a 32 bit jail?
what is the advantage of this over installing FreeBSD i386?

does the urtw driver work with my wifi usb device?
can i install the urtw driver in FreeBSD 7.2?
how can i install it?

BeautifulFish said:
i didn't ask for them all to be included, just the latest stable version of the essential packages.
...which is exactly what they do, as I said.
Most people use KDE or GNOME, so they are included along with their dependencies. It's more or less all that can fit in 2 CDs or a single DVD.

What is an "essential package" for you might not be so for the majority of users.
You may use KDE or GNOME and find it useful to have them included in the ISO, but I don't see it that way because I don't use either of them.

Also, you may be wondering why FF2 is included and not FF3, but this is totally normal because FF3 is not, well, an essential package since it's just a web browser, while FF2 is a web browser... and a dependency for hundreds of ports (mainly GNOME applications).
See for yourself: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=firefox-2&stype=requires&sektion=all

Beastie said:
What is an "essential package" for you might not be so for the majority of users.
i understand that, but since FF is included in the CD, therefore it is already considered an essential package.

Beastie said:
Also, you may be wondering why FF2 is included and not FF3, but this is totally normal because FF3 is not, well, an essential package since it's just a web browser, while FF2 is a web browser... and a dependency for hundreds of ports (mainly GNOME applications).
See for yourself: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=firefox-2&stype=requires&sektion=all
oh, so now i can't remove it without breaking all these packages? :(

btw my biggest concern is still wifi usb support, without it i can't use FF2, FF3 or anything requiring the internet lol

BeautifulFish said:
i understand that, but since FF is included in the CD, therefore it is already considered an essential package.

Firefox2 is used as the base for building the Gnome browser Epiphany. So it is a required dependence. FF3 simply is not needed for the minimal package set included on the release CD.

Back