multiple keyboard layouts for multiple keyboards

Hi guys.

I've seen the How To for setting up multiple keyboard layouts / to switch keyboard layout on the fly.

My question is:
I currently have a Laptop with german keyboard and german keyboard layout set up.
German keyboards are not exactly what I call ergonomic when it comes to programming, having to use braces, brackets and other signs, that always need the AltGr key to be accessed. So I plan to buy a USB-keyboard with us layout, just for coding.

Is there a way to have the laptop keyboard layout set to de, while the external USB keyboard layout is set to us? If so, can you give me a hint where to look for a how to / documentation?

thanks in advance
Jochen

Same here, I use multiple keyboards with different layouts and I have no idea how to do it properly in freebsd. In theory it should be set in some xorg config, but I guess I'll have to change layout every time I change keyboard, which is not too convenient. Plus my mechanical keyboard is a 70% one without arrows, so I cant even go through menus with it.

I have intentionally choosen a swiss-international QWERTZ keyboard for my laptop. I can recommend this layout for programming, and otherwise for all german/italian/french/spanish/portugese speaking users. This layout is very convenient. Costs ~15-20 €/$/£ (ex/incl. backlight, excl. shipping costs).
Is there a way to have the laptop keyboard layout set to de, while the external USB keyboard layout is set to us?
I did not find out, too, and will set this thread on watch...

Isn't this done in xorg.conf files?
Back in the days you had to spend so much time in those files to even get xorg starting. ;D

Or add a hotkey for a script that toggles between setxkbmap de and setxkbmap en.

There's a keyboard indicator in any decent GUI. I click it, it changes the the layout from swiss (internal laptop keyboard) to german (external keyboard). But this is inconvenient. What we want is X11 to have a way to set the resp. layout for each keyboard. AFAIK, it handles only one layout for all keyboards. EDIT: seems this is a design bug. Would you accept e.g. cups(1) could only set one printer type for all printers connected to the system?

THX! Never found this. IMHO s/o should file a bug report to KDE, it does not support this, at least not in the system config (easily). Maybe you have to do that in xorg.conf, then the KDE systemsettings shows a 2nd tab for the additional keyboard. Which contradicts the intention to free the naive user from editing config files.

Back