Solved Multi-monitor issues

Hi all,

I'm running FreeBSD 13.1 (though I've been having these issues since at least 12.0 and am just now getting fed up enough to try and really solve my problem) with 3 4k monitors, all off of an
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 using nvidia-driver 510.60.02.

I'm using KDE as my window manager, and have built my xorg.conf using nvidia-settings.

When I boot the machine, most of the time all three monitors come up as they should and work fine. Then, over time, one or more will just disable, where nvidia-settings shows it as "off". Usually it happens when I bring the monitors out of sleep, but occasionally one or more will just go black while I'm using it.

When I go to either the KDE Display Settings page, or nvidia-settings, sometimes I'm able to bring the monitor back, and other times it'll allow me to enable the monitor, set the position and resolution, but then just won't come back on once I hit "apply". Eventually, I just have to reboot the machine.

The only error I can find in dmesg is:
Code:
nvidia-modeset: WARNING: GPU:0: Failed to allocate memory for composition pipeline; continuing with potential tearing.

and in Xorg.0.log I get:
Code:
[1038236.735] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DELL P2415Q (DFP-2.8): connected
[1038236.735] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DELL P2415Q (DFP-2.8): Internal DisplayPort
[1038236.735] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DELL P2415Q (DFP-2.8): GUID: 10DE9070-0005-DE36-1B64-8E78000000D1
[1038236.735] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DELL P2415Q (DFP-2.8): 1440.0 MHz maximum pixel clock

for each of the monitors this happens with repeatedly.

Beyond looking at the logs above, I don't even know where to start to troubleshoot this. Any idea on what my next steps should be?

Thanks in advance!

<Edit>
I should have also noted that I'm using the modeset version of the driver.
In rc.conf I have:
Code:
kld_list="nvidia-modeset linux"

Using xorg.conf is pretty outdated and it should not be required anymore.
Normally C runs without config nowadays.
IF config is required only xorg.conf.d snippets should be used.

nvidia-settings is using xorg.conf to save the positions, resolutions, and rotations of my monitors. I'm just hitting "save" from that configuration application.

Could that somehow be affecting the status of the monitors after xorg has started (as in hours or days later)?

Since you are using KDE I‘d suggest to try using the KDE display settings app and skip nvidia settings and xorg.conf. Imho that nvidia-settings approach is not good (from nvidia).
Using KDE display settings works way better for me.

When I started, I initially configured using the KDE display settings, and had the same outcomes. The main reason I started using nvidia-settings is because that app has a lot more success recovering from the "monitors disabled" state than the KDE config does; it almost never could bring back the disabled monitors where nvidia-settings can about half the time.

I see.
Then the only idea I have is to debug why you are loosing monitor connection. Checking dmesg, /var/log/messages, xorg.0.log etc.
Anyhow you can use nvidia setting for recovering without saving xorg.conf if you like…

Unfortunately, so far the only log items I can find potentially related are in the initial post.

Does anyone have any other ideas where I might even start? I haven't found any additional debug settings anywhere, but I may just have no idea where to look.

For posterity... I never did find anything in logs, and I eventually just replaced the video card (with one that uses the same driver). No more problems, so I'm assuming this was a hardware issue.

Back