Other mSATA storage in WLAN/WWAN slot?

Depends on the hardware itself. If the WLAN slot is a mSATA slot, possibly. If it is not, then no. There are usually BIOS limitations, even if the wiring is correct, so the answer really depends on what hardware you have.

Depends on the hardware itself. If the WLAN slot is a mSATA slot, possibly. If it is not, then no. There are usually BIOS limitations, even if the wiring is correct, so the answer really depends on what hardware you have.
I have a ThinkPad X61 which has two PCI slots. A WLAN card is in one, the other is empty.

I just found this, which doesn't give me much hope.

I would think about installing a WWAN card but theren't are any cables in the system.

Here is an article I found that explains well the differences:

https://www.electronicdesign.com/te.../whats-the-difference-between-mpcie-and-msata

In the remote chance the mPCIe slots are connected to a SATA controller, you would still need a custom modded BIOS for the computer to get past the vendor locks. It is unfortunate, since there are many older systems that have the mPCIe slots for WLAN or WWAN, but are unused for those functions and could benefit from the compact form factor of mSATA.

Back