Solved Moving /tmp to SSD - please help to solve the problem

Please help to solve the problem:

1) I have running desktop system with ZFS mirror, SDDM login manager and MATE desktop;
2) I have also some SSD drives connected the the system and now I tried to move /tmp from ZFS to one of the SSD partitions;
3) to do that I created the UFS partition on ada2p5, newfs, and created an entry in /etc/fstab - /dev/ada2p5 /tmp ufs rw,nosuid 0 2
4) After that I unmounted the corresponding ZFS dataset and renamed the mount point zfs set mountpoint=/tmp.orig kelder/tmp
5) After rebooting the new /tmp seems OK, but the SDDM login manager will hang after Xorg starts. Nothing interesting in logfiles.
6) I can access both, the old /tmp in /tmp.orig and new /tmp. Everything seems OK, SDDM does not start.
7) When I return the old /tmp mount point by zfs set mountpoint=/tmp kelder/tmp and remove /etc/fstab entry, everything returns back to normal (as expected).

What is wrong here? Everything seems OK, but moving /tmp from ZFS to UFS on SSD makes my desktop environment hang.

Your new /tmp needs to have the proper permissions; chmod 1777 /tmp (the sticky(7) bit is important here).

Back