Solved mouse suddenly stopped working

This is an interesting one :) - My mouse was working earlier today and then it stopped.

I know the mouse still works and that the USB switch I have is fine as the keyboard still works and the other computer I'm plugged into has no issues with the mouse.

I am running a "router" jail in which I use it to act like a router and my host is actually just a client on the network. The host retains access to the video card (and keyboard and mouse). The dmesg logs show the mouse is there and if I disconnect it and plug it in, I do see that event being logged. Additionally, xorg also lists the device.

The only thing I can think of that I changed was that the original kernel configuration I built (for the router didn't have linux or linux_common support), so I rebuilt it with that and rebooted so I could use my video card AND have altq support. I was running the stock kernel earlier without altq or traffic shaping.

That is a lot of cursory information, but I think it is necessary to paint a picture of the situation and why it stopped all of a sudden.

In terms of debugging, the next logical step for me is to try reverting to the stock kernel to see if the mouse works then. I couldn't use the original modified one with altq because it didn't have linux and linux_common, so my video wouldn't work.

/etc/make.conf (manually entered)
Code:
MODULES_OVERRIDE=zfs opensolaris geom aesni acpi pf mac_ntpd vmm if_bridge if_tuntap nmdm linux linux_common

Using a browser without a mouse is a bit challenging.

So, what I ended up doing for my workstation kernel is add:

Code:
device usbhid
device wmt
device ums
device blank_saver
device uhid
device fusefs

I think the key part was ums, usbhid, uhid. I'm lucky the keyboard worked at all, otherwise, that would have made for a fun experience.

In addition, in order for me to have sound, I had to add:
Code:
sound
snd_hda

If I understand correctly what I did, I built sound support directly into the kernel. If I want it to be a module, then I would need to specify that in /etc/make.conf in MODULES_OVERRIDE.

Yes, my config is based on GENERIC, but I updated /etc/make.conf with just the modules needed to reduce build time. I completely forgot to also look there.

I originally only built the kernel for altq support for my router and then migrated my router into a jail on my workstation and that is where I started to run into issues (operator error).

Back