Mouse and keyboard not working

Hello,

I have experience with linux systems but I've never tried BSD until now.

After the FreeBSD installation, installed Xorg and KDE4. After starting KDE my mouse and keyboard are not working at all.

I added in /etc/rc.conf

Code:
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"

I have trouble copying xorg.conf since I don't have mouse or keyboard but I'll try to upload them to some ftp server and give it.

Just adding the entries in rc.conf does not start those services until the system is restarted. Or you can start them manually:
# service dbus start
# service hald start

Try add this onto ur xorg.conf

Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AllowEmptyInput" "Off"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "Off"
EndSection

alie said:
Try add this onto ur xorg.conf

Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
[del]Option "AllowEmptyInput" "Off"[/del]  # Please don't do this!  ([url=http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/aei.html]AEI bad! Bad![/URL])
Option "AutoAddDevices" "Off"  # this is the right way
EndSection

Probably should tell what this does: it forces X to not use HAL for input device detection, so it doesn't matter if HAL is running.

Don't set AEI at all, leave it alone. Turning AutoAddDevices off is the correct way.

wblock@ said:
Probably should tell what this does: it forces X to not use HAL for input device detection, so it doesn't matter if HAL is running.

Don't set AEI at all, leave it alone. Turning AutoAddDevices off is the correct way.

Ouch. Thanks for the info.

This tip worked like a charm, and to the uninitiated just add these lines into your xorg.conf file after generating it and moving it to /etc/X11/. Thanks!

I had this issue this morning after updating and running pkg autoremove. portmaster -r xorg-server got me working again, and I don't have to use HAL.

Back