mount: /dev/... operation not permitted

I have new Dell Power Edge 1750 with two cpus. I am having a problem with mounting disks.

1. I created the configuration I wanted on the root disk. Then I did a disk to disk copy to another disk, using the dd command. Then I run fsck on that disk. When I try to mount it using the command "mount /dev/da1s1a" I get "mount /dev/da1s1a: operation not permitted". The disk is copied properly and does work as a root disk on another server, fdisk shows the disk to properly partitioned.

2. Next I put in a RAID eSATA card and connected two 1TB disks to it. I created a RAID1 with the card BIOS as well as with atacontrol. "atacontrol status ar0" shows the proper status. I then used fdisk and flabel through sysinstall to slice and partition the array. Again I get the same response when trying to mount it.

Any help is appreciated.

Aharon

I have found the solution to number 2. sysinstall simply does not run newfs when run from an installed os. I run newfs and it works.

Number 1 is still not solved.

aharonf said:
1. I created the configuration I wanted on the root disk. Then I did a disk to disk copy to another disk, using the dd command. Then I run fsck on that disk. When I try to mount it using the command "mount /dev/da1s1a" I get "mount /dev/da1s1a: operation not permitted".

Remounting root partition as root partition is not permitted.

You should be able to:
Code:
mount /dev/da1s1a /mnt

Not trying to mount it as root partition. The command was:
mkdir /disk1
mount /dev/... /disk1

Ruling out the possible causes:
- you're not root (unlikely)
- you're in a jail
- kern.securelevel is interfering, though I can't see from security(7) why it would

There's no other causes I can see for EPERM to be returned, without digging into lower levels, like geom.

Back