mount /dev/ad1s1 /mnt/mydisk Operation not permitted FreeBSD-7.2

You need to specify the filesystem when you mount a USB formated with FAT32
You can do this by using mount_msdosfs or mount -t msdosfs

You CAN'T mount the device itself you can mount only the partition that have a filesystem
Looking at your previous post your "TOSHIBA MK3018GAS" partition is da0s2 with label msdosfs/TOSHIB30 so the mount command will look like mount_msdosfs /dev/da0s2 /mnt

Don't waste time to learn an older version of FreeBSD 7 as many things has changed it's better to listen to the others advice and install a supported version.

Well slightly changing the mount_msdosfs /dev/da0s2 /mnt

mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt/mydisk has managed to mount that USB harddrive, finally. Phew :)

That will enable me to post lengthy outputs. Now I need to find a way to mount the ad1 or ad1s1 or ad1s1a or whatever...

And as for the version issue, the question is: did the mount tool change in the newer versions significantly enough to eliminate the type of problem I'm having now? Considering that the mount is a very basic operation and as far as the IDE / PATA harddrives are concerned, I think it has't been changed any considerably. Using a newer version would be therefore a waste of time, actually.

did the mount tool change in the newer versions?

While @olli has a point and is absolutely correct you would have the same "issue" running this on current FreeBSD version. Eventhough GPT scheme is now standard you still can have older disk laying around with the old FreeBSD slices. But then you should get familiar with the FreeBSD slices.

And as for the version issue, the question is: did the mount tool change in the newer versions? Because the mount is such a basic operation, I don't think it has been changed. As far as the IDE / PATA harddrives are concerned, I estimate the mount is the same in the most recent version of FreeBSD. Using a newer version would be a waste of time, actually.
Yes, a lot of details have changed, especially for administration of machines. For example, the old ad(4) disk driver doesn’t exist anymore, it has been replaced and is now integrated into the CAM framework, which means that device nodes have different names (things like /dev/ad* don’t exist anymore). This affects mount commands, of course. It also means that you now use camcontrol(8) for IDE / ATA drives (formerly it was only used for SCSI drives). There were a lot of changes to the GEOM framework, too, so now you can consistently use gpart(8) to manage partitions, while the old fdisk(8) and bsdlabel(8) (formerly known as disklabel(8)) are deprecated and don’t work correctly anymore. These are just examples from the top of my head; there is much more.

Using a newer version would be a waste of time
Given that a) you can't ever take that machine online unless you're fine with crackers in control of it and don't care about the harm you cause for other people plus b) you'll spend a lot of time figuring out how stuff might have worked in that ancient version …

The real waste of time is trying to operate an EOL system.

That said, operating ancient stuff can make for a nice hobby, if you take precautions, if you know what you're doing. But if your goal is "learn Unix", by all means, use some supported system.

Using a newer version would be a waste of time, actually.
Actually, right now you are wasting a lot of time of a lot of people on this forum. And it’s a waste of time for yourself, too, because learning how to use a 12 years old operating system is rather useless.

Actually, right now you are wasting a lot of time of a lot of people on this forum. And it’s a waste of time for yourself, too, because learning how to use a 12 years old operating system is rather useless.
If anyone feels as if they are wasting their time, they are free to not participate in this thread :).

Personally, I'm hoping to install FreeBSD v1 at some point since I have it on CD, but I need to assemble the correct kit to get it installed.

Back