Solved mount Android phone using mtpfs

I would like to transfer files off of my phone via USB to my computer. Previously, I would use mtpfs to mount the phone and then just copy the files over, but I am not having any such luck in FreeBSD. I am also referring to this post:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/howto-transfer-files-between-freebsd-and-android-devices.49820/

I have installed:
fusefs-simple-mtpfs
libmtp

Additionally, I saw https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/88305/mount-mtp-device-in-freebsd, that I need to update my permissions so:

/etc/devfs.rules
Code:
[system=10]
add path 'usb*'          mode 0770 group cups
add path 'ugen*'         mode 0660 group cups
add path 'ad[0-9]\*'     mode 0666
add path 'ada[0-9]\*'    mode 0666
add path 'da[0-9]\*'     mode 0666
add path 'acd[0-9]\*'    mode 0666
add path 'cd[0-9]\*'     mode 0666
add path 'xpt[0-9]\*'    mode 0666
add path 'mmcsd[0-9]\*'  mode 0666
add path 'pass[0-9]\*'   mode 0666
add path 'usb/\*'        mode 0666
add path 'ugen[0-9]\*'   mode 0666
/etc/rc.conf
Code:
devfs_system_ruleset="system"

sysctl vfs.usermount=1
service devfs restart

I reconnected my phone and then ran simple-mtpfs phone, but nothing. What am I missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Try this (MTP):
pkg install sysutils/android-file-transfer
and optionally (I prefer GUI for such things)
pkg install sysutils/android-file-transfer-qt5

GUI example:
sudo android-file-transfer

Non of those settings needed and there's no need to have a rooted android device (I haven't).

use jmtpfs, when you plug the phone
to the computer
run jmtpfs -o allow_other mount_point as root

thats it, run your file manager an access your phone files
Thanks I was tinkering around simple-mtpfs and was not able to mount my phone but this thing works seemingly well for my case kind of freebsd version of working simple-mtpfs :)

Thanks anyways

Thanks I was tinkering around simple-mtpfs and was not able to mount my phone but this thing works seemingly well for my case kind of freebsd version of working simple-mtpfs :)

Thanks anyways
me too,something like that, I was able to mount the mount and see the root folders..nothing more,from there simple-mtpfs and ls or file-manager freeze

Back