more problems with KDE4

A

Anonymous

1. Menu Editor: when window Select Icon open there are no choice to check which set of icons supposed to show up.
I open new account and try with the new user and there are choice.

2. Screensaver: openGL sreensavers don't work but for the other user are not a problem.

Thanks in advance.

mfaridi said:
For OpenGL you need install Nvidia Driver from port

I have Radeon 9000 graphics card...sorry I forgot to wrote but on the same computer with KDE3 and won the same computer but with different account (user) everything works. IMO drivers are not a problem.

There are more problems: nepomukservicestub crashed all the time, same kde4-gnash.

Looks like that is KDE4 still in pre beta version.

but I use KDE 4.2 without problem with FreeBSD 7 , I think it is better update your port tree and deinstall KDE 4 again

mfaridi said:
but I use KDE 4.2 without problem with FreeBSD 7 , I think it is better update your port tree and deinstall KDE 4 again

My port tree is updated and KDE4is updated too. Deinstall and reinstall? No, thank you. I did installed from ports.

BTW Konqueror crashed many times too, special on distrowatch site.

Since most of these things work as one user, and not another, have you tried resetting your KDE preferences as the user that is having problems?

Adam

adamk said:
Since most of these things work as one user, and not another, have you tried resetting your KDE preferences as the user that is having problems?

Adam

I deleted .kde4 complete and the problem is here still.

For a Radeon 9000, use the "radeon" driver. Here's some snippets from my xorg.conf (you'll need to merge them into your own):

Code:
Section "Module"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "radeon"
        Option      "AGPMode" "4"
        Option      "DRI" "on"
        Option      "RenderAccel" "on"
        Option      "AccelMethod" "EXA"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode         0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option      "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option         "AIGLX"
EndSection

I'm not sure about your other problem. Are you saying that no icons are displayed in Select Icon dialog? Or that you can't select between System icons and Other icons?

Brandybuck said:
For a Radeon 9000, use the "radeon" driver. Here's some snippets from my xorg.conf (you'll need to merge them into your own):

Code:
Section "Module"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "radeon"
        Option      "AGPMode" "4"
        Option      "DRI" "on"
        Option      "RenderAccel" "on"
        Option      "AccelMethod" "EXA"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode         0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option      "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option         "AIGLX"
EndSection

I'm not sure about your other problem. Are you saying that no icons are displayed in Select Icon dialog? Or that you can't select between System icons and Other icons?

I can select between System and other icons but there on the right side you could choose applications and bla bla...this one doesn't works.

I have radeon and it works for KDE 3.5 and it works for the other user on the same computer. Computer is standalone machine.

There are some problem with KMail too: I did copy settings, folders, old emails from KDE 3.5 and is okay but many times KMail need a lot of time that shows a message text.

lumiwa said:
I can select between System and other icons but there on the right side you could choose applications and bla bla...this one doesn't works.

That combobox doesn't work for anyone, even in Linux.

p.s. Someday KDE4 will *finally* be finished porting from KDE3, and then it will be time to start all over with KDE5. Sigh.

lumiwa said:
I have radeon and it works for KDE 3.5 and it works for the other user on the same computer. Computer is standalone machine.

There are some problem with KMail too: I did copy settings, folders, old emails from KDE 3.5 and is okay but many times KMail need a lot of time that shows a message text.

Sounds like you have a seriously broken KDE install. You tried removing .kde4/ directory. How about removing .kde/ (if it exists) along with .kderc, .local/, parts of .config/, .dbus/ and maybe some other miscellaneous hidden files.

If nothing else helps, consider joining the kde-freebsd mailing list, and posting full info there.

Brandybuck said:
That combobox doesn't work for anyone, even in Linux.

p.s. Someday KDE4 will *finally* be finished porting from KDE3, and then it will be time to start all over with KDE5. Sigh.

Sounds like you have a seriously broken KDE install. You tried removing .kde4/ directory. How about removing .kde/ (if it exists) along with .kderc, .local/, parts of .config/, .dbus/ and maybe some other miscellaneous hidden files.

If nothing else helps, consider joining the kde-freebsd mailing list, and posting full info there.

"combo" worked first time but after I added a new application it stopped.
I move .kde before I start kde4. I deleted same temp files, clean cache and now is better. OpenGL screensavers and many others doesn't show up on test but for "real" they are working.

IMO would be much better if KDE3 would be "alive" still.

Brandybuck said:
Sounds like you have a seriously broken KDE install.

If I have a seriously broken KDE install why is working everything okay if I login as other user? This is what I don't understand.

lumiwa said:
If I have a seriously broken KDE install why is working everything okay if I login as other user? This is what I don't understand.

Sorry, I should have said "broken KDE configuration" rather than "broken KDE install".

p.s. KDE3 is not dead. If you wish to continue using it, you may.

So far, I am not impressed with KDE 4. On a fresh install of FreeBSD 7.2 and KDE 4.2.2 from DVD installation disk, KDE is too buggy on my system (P4, Intel 850). Only KDE 4 Base is installed, not the whole deal. Also using both nv and nvidia video drivers, though not at the same time.

1. Nepomuk Semantic Desktop creates a core dump in home directory.
2. open System Settings window, then click on Multimedia (under Comp Admin section) will crash the window every time. Creates a 32MB core file in home directory.
3. Opening a Terminal window (Konsole) more than once will crash the Terminal window every time.
4. ESPN continues to crash Konqueror. This is an improvement over KDE 3. In KDE 3, I had to kill the entire KDE process; in KDE 4, I only have to kill the Konqueror window.
5. Konqueror will not allow me to backup bookmarks to Mozilla-formatted html file using 'Export Mozilla Bookmarks'.

I think FreeBSD should have waited even longer before including KDE 4 as default. They were right in not including KDE4 in the 7.1 install disk.

Back