Konsole does not stay open

I have freebsd-6.4 (unmodified kernel) i386 ... kde4.1.1 ... and i am trying to open a konsole window and it opens and closes immediately ... what can i do to fix this? .... Thanks

If xterm works, could you open an xterm and start konsole from there? It should give you some error messages.

i went into root and ran konsole and everything seems to be fine, i am unable to run xterm under my account implicitly no konsole

also there seems to be a longer delay in loading kde under my acount than the root account ... i also read somewhere this konsole crash might have something to do with some number N >256 ... but either way ... it seems odd to work under root and not under my account

That's kind of strange.
If you start X and KDE from a console, you should get all the errors to there (put "exec startkde" in ~/.xinitrc and startx, or something) - try starting konsole, then Ctrl+Alt+F1 (or whatever console you used) to see if you've got anything that looks relevant.

Alternatively, one of us could find out where this stuff is logged when you start from kdm (or whatever you use)...

When i try to run konsole from xterm this is what i get

$konsole
konsole(1766) KLocalePrivate::initEncoding: Cannot resolve system encoding, defaulting to ISO 8859-1
$konsole(1766)/kdeui (KNotification) Knotification::~KNotification: ~1

and that's about it, konsole seems to run fine in root, no problems there

from ports (make install clean) kde4 ... all ports and everything is up to date (for 6.4 release) ...

i also tried making another account (adduser -v) and the same thing happens, opens and closes immediately. (it seems to be fine under root though

As an experiment ...
If you start X as root, then do
Code:
# xhost +
# su someOtherUser
> setenv DISPLAY :0
> konsole

What happens?
(Of course, replace the setenv with export DISPLAY=:0 if you use bash.)

I have the same problem with konsole on freebsd 7.1 + kde 4.1.4.
I have installed kde from ports. Does anybody know the solution?

everypot said:
I have the same problem with FreeBSD 7.1 + KDE 4.2.

Yes, problem is still remains, but I get another error message:

konsole(1104): Attempt to use QAction "change-profile" with KXMLGUIFactory!

I am trying to use xterm..

same problem here (FreeBSD 7.1, KDE 4.2)
just testing, i have yakuake installed and from there i launch

konsole --help

it succesfully worked with

konsole -e bash
konsole -e csh

and didn't worked with

konsole -e sh

any idea what's wrong with sh ?

bostik said:
Then added a new profile under Settings > Manage Profiles
to use bash and setted as default

You can change your default shell with the chsh command.

zeta_immersion said:
konsole(1766) KLocalePrivate::initEncoding: Cannot resolve system encoding, defaulting to ISO 8859-1

Add the following line to /etc/login.conf, under the default section:
:lang=en_US.ISO8859-1:\

Then run cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf. Relog for changes to take effect.

Mel_Flynn said:
Add the following line to /etc/login.conf, under the default section:
:lang=en_US.ISO8859-1:\

Then run cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf. Relog for changes to take effect.

The above will remove the first message:

"konsole(1766) KLocalePrivate::initEncoding: Cannot resolve system encoding, defaulting to ISO 8859-1"

konsole still does not run. 'konsole -e bash' works.

zeta_immersion said:
When i try to run konsole from xterm this is what i get

$konsole
$konsole(1766)/kdeui (KNotification) Knotification::~KNotification: ~1

and that's about it, konsole seems to run fine in root, no problems there

Same problem encountered on FreeBSD 7.2-BETA1 with KDE 4.2.2

My conclusion: neither message relates to the actual problem. When starting konsole with 'konsole -e bash', you get the same messages. The problem is particular to /bin/sh. csh, tcsh, bash, and rbash all work.

Solution:

- Press ALT-F2
- enter 'konsole -e csh'
- konsole should now be running
- Settings | Change Profile | Shell
- Settings | Edit Current Profile
- On the general tab, set the Command field to a shell other than /bin/sh (e.g. /bin/csh). I have mine set to /usr/local/bin/bash. See /etc/shells for a list of shells installed on your system (do not alter this file).
- click on OK
- terminate konsole

Now you should be able to start and run konsole.

Thanks for the solution.
But is this problem generic or simply a bug? What's wrong with /bin/sh? Just curious.

dvl said:
Same problem encountered on FreeBSD 7.2-BETA1 with KDE 4.2.2

My conclusion: neither message relates to the actual problem. When starting konsole with 'konsole -e bash', you get the same messages. The problem is particular to /bin/sh. csh, tcsh, bash, and rbash all work.

Solution:

- Press ALT-F2
- enter 'konsole -e csh'
- konsole should now be running
- Settings | Change Profile | Shell
- Settings | Edit Current Profile
- On the general tab, set the Command field to a shell other than /bin/sh (e.g. /bin/csh). I have mine set to /usr/local/bin/bash. See /etc/shells for a list of shells installed on your system (do not alter this file).
- click on OK
- terminate konsole

Now you should be able to start and run konsole.

Yes, I agree with fronclynne. More likely Console tries to pass something bashy to the shell that angers /bin/sh.

To solve it, I don't know yet but I will give it a try. Currently, it's hard for me to reproduce the problem that you are encountering.

Simulation pret

Interesting thread. :)
I'm also encountering the same problem with FreeBSD 7.2-amd64. That is, after I first start-up KDE 4.2.2 and launch konsole it behaves normally. But, if I close konsole and then try to launch it again it starts up briefly and then closes. Weird. Not a big deal. Now I start up konsole and leave it open.
Perhaps a bug?

Further to my last post. I found a good work around for Konsole closing. I used pkg_add to install xfce4 and I now use xfce's terminal emulator when I'm running KDE 4.2.2.

Back