• Start date

Should I be called a user if I virtualize FreeBS

• Yes

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
I like the turn this thread took ... cause I, uhm, dislike Apple 😏

For me, the background is that I had requests for a "MacOS version" of one of my open source projects. Well, having a look into that, I learned the only "legal" way is to buy Apple hardware: You need Xcode to get the MacOS SDK stuff. You need MacOS to run Xcode. And you need some Apple hardware to run MacOS. So, no thanks. :rolleyes:

Just recently got offered some help from someone actually using MacOS. Turns out there will be substantial changes to my build system needed, because they do something, uhm "entirely different", for shared libraries ... oh, my :rolleyes:

IDK of anybody "misusing" something like Open Darwin or PureDarwin to host macOS software.
My knowledge of the Apple stuff is pretty weak but I did remember this part in the announcement OpenDarwin put out when shutting down.
Luckily I did manage to track it down or I was going to put it down as a (an isolated ;)) Mandela effect!

https://web.archive.org/web/20060804104416/http://opendarwin.org/

Over the past few years, OpenDarwin has become a mere hosting facility for Mac OS X related projects
[...]
Administering a system to host other people's projects is not what the remaining OpenDarwin contributors had signed up for
Whether that is what is meant, I could be wrong. I believed they were trying to fill in the gaps making Darwin a suitable OS platform in its own right. This required a number of bespoke projects that ended up losing the interest of developers. Instead they started out as Mac OS X backports that never actually got ported.

I like the turn this thread took ... cause I, uhm, dislike Apple 😏
I just had a read back trying to work out exactly how this happened. Quite amusing. I do accept part of the blame...

Makes them a license violator if they aren't virtualizing it on the mac that would validate them as a "community member" 😬

Back