More adventures in finding a job

I have about 15 years of experience in cyber though, something purple haired teens do not have, and I remain current because I do this every day.
The problem is, the PHT with an advanced degree in feminist dance therapy (you can't make these titles up) simply does not care what you have. I had some token hires as management. Avoid that, if you can.

I would guess that half of your buddies went to HR with your papers and were told by some purple haired teen that hiring that straight white old male you are is off limits. But now they have this application from this person with a higher score in the oppression olympics disciplines at hand...

What the Honorable drhowarddrfine needs is a makeover to get with the times.

You could declare your status as "fluid". Well, I felt that way yesterday... Not today.

My female friend wants psychedelic hair, but that might be a bit much for a professional. A streak should do it. You can use Kool-Aid and wash it out if Red wasn't what you thought it would be.

Cargo pants are comfortable in warm weather and have lots of pockets for your Ithingy. Concert shirts always a plus in job interviews if you choose the band wisely.

Age discrimination always a counter to disparaging news. Fake a heart attack and make a scene of it till the Ambulance arrives. Threaten to call some advocacy groups if they balk and change tactics in an instant to keep them off balance.

Personally, I don't miss work. I always strove to climb the ladder of success but once I got there didn't care for it. That's when you find out how things are really run. I do miss landscaping when I smell cut grass. We used to do all the Army Corp. of Engineers property on both sides of the River from Saverton to East Alton and made Union Scale doing it.

Trihexagonal You got hair??!!!!

Funny thing. I look in the mirror and then tell people that, one thing I'm proud of is, I still have all my hair. Then, about six months ago, I was standing under a security camera while looking at the monitor and noticed that, when you look straight down at the top of my head, there's not much there. Looking straight at me, though, even my wife never realized how thin it is.

rigoletto@ I honestly don't think age plays into this. The current R&D manager, who I sent my resume to, looks to be near retirement age, as does the Project Manager I frequently see at the grocery store who last encouraged me to apply. My two former R&D Managers are both retired but one still works there part time under contract.

I guess it's possible that, since this position is contracted out through Kelly Services, it is someone there who threw me under the bus but I have no way of knowing. It's sad that Bausch doesn't have the gumption to do the right thing.

Trihexagonal You got hair??!!!!

Funny thing. I look in the mirror and then tell people that, one thing I'm proud of is, I still have all my hair. Then, about six months ago, I was standing under a security camera while looking at the monitor and noticed that, when you look straight down at the top of my head, there's not much there. Looking straight at me, though, even my wife never realized how thin it is.

Yes, I have hair like I did in the 70's and about 3 years growth. It's not as thick as it used to be and some falls out. I finally got a detangling brush so I don't rip out the rest with a comb. I will admit to being surprised that some of the same stigma long hair had back then still exists today. A couple mean stares from rednecks but nothing said. I can deal with them.

I decided to live the final years of my life to make me happy, hair part of it. I look more like someone with a weed farm than a Thinkpad farm. I like it that way. It puts people off guard so they underestimate me.

Look up psychedelic hair on Instagram. That's what my 64 year old female friend wants. I may go with braids if I can find a girl to do it like the black guys wear. I had dreadlocks once. You only have to stop combing your hair a few months and they come in naturally.

My hair started parting company with my head when I was in my 30's. Since I have spent nearly half my life in the military, I just kept the buzz cut and since going all gray, it still works. Now if i get lazy and don't cut it, it drives me nuts - I can't go more than a month without a haircut. Oh to be 19 again...but would never give up the wisdom I have accrued over the years!

drhowarddrfine: You could create your own job; ala "Shark Tank" -like enterprise. It's something I did years ago to become an independent paralegal (and register the business with the Secretary of State and the IRS).

From reading your posts you already have alot of skill and knowledge to put into your enterprise.

BTW: my sideburns hair will rival Isaac Asimov's in the near future!

My female friend wants psychedelic hair, but that might be a bit much for a professional. A streak should do it. You can use Kool-Aid and wash it out if Red wasn't what you thought it would be.

Cargo pants are comfortable in warm weather and have lots of pockets for your Ithingy. Concert shirts always a plus in job interviews if you choose the band wisely.

Have you been spying on me? :D

You pretty much describe my first 5-8 years working here (so, 5-8 years ago). Changed my hair colour twice a year (blue, purple, red, black, platinum blonde). Cargo pants and shorts were my jam. Biked to work in the summer. Rode the bus the rest of the year.

Every now and again, the staff in the schools ask me when I'm colouring my hair next. :D Even my own kids have been trying to get me to go green or purple or blue.

Granted, I'm still south of 50, but not by much ... ;)

What about Sunnen. They have an EE position up on indeed. Pay was not very impressive.
25% of workers been there more than 25 years.
That is something to brag about these days.
Maybe not as polished a job but I bet its probably new machine development.
I can't see them needing an EE for a machine tool assembly line.

Phishfry I'm not that hard up. Remember, I wasn't really looking for a job though I admit to getting a little antsy. The only job I seriously applied at was my former position but only because I ran into one of my co-workers at the grocery store who always nudges me to do so. Since that time, I've put feelers out here and there but it's a strange, strange world. One I'm not used to.

My brother always told me that I'm the type that is built to run my own business and not work for myself. I am very aware of that and just might start something small.

FLASH! My wife came home and was told her six-month contract with a local world-wide big business has been eliminated after five weeks. Sheesh.

Hmph. I always had a coat and tie. But a lot of my work had close contact with the customer.

At this place I've been talking about, we were required to have those available and I only wore my tie loose around my neck. We sometimes had visits from medical professionals who would tour the facility and we had to look our best. The large machine shop was so clean and shiny, you could eat off it.

A nearby electronic manufacturer once had visitors touring the production area when someone had a tray of pizza running the wave soldering pipeline to heat it up. That got quite a buzz.

And I usually walk around like I just left the FFL or something, so when I once showed up in a 3 piece suit that almost started an intruder alert.

I always wore a coat and tie when visiting or being visited by clients who had to wear coats and ties, out of respect for their circumstances. At other times I wore jeans and t-shirts, just like the rest of the programming staff always did.

Last job was strictly "business casual" which meant khaki (or equivalent) slacks and a golf shirt. Did that for 12 years. Work at home now in gym shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt and love it.

I'm getting out of the sweat pants and t-shirt thing cause it wound up with me going to the grocery store and walking the dogs in it. Now I actually wear business casual every time I go out of the house...and I like it!

Dress for the job you want, not the one you have.

I wish I could find a job that involves sitting on the beach drinking beer. At least I dress for it ;)

The large machine shop was so clean and shiny, you could eat off it.
I have only worked at one place with a white painted floor. It was supporting a Plastic Injection Mold shop producing pill bottle lids.
We also made some heart punches. No regrind allow on medical stuff.

I currently do repair work and it it very satisfying repairing a $700K Main Reduction gear when Cat says sorry, that gearbox is EOL we don't sell parts for that. I enjoy saving taxpayer dollars from scamming corporate America..

Can-do-attitude is important. Many people these days adopt the pass the buck philosophy. Its not hard to shine these days.

Back