module fbdevhw not found

Hi,

I just installed FBSD 7.2 with graphics on a PIII with 256 MB RAM. Now I have 2 problems:
1: when starting the default xinitrc by startx, twm comes up and directly freezes. What can I check or do about this?
2: after this I've installed fluxbox, but starting it aborts on the message that module "fbdevhw" cannot be found. Earlier it couldn't find modules "savage" and "fbdev", which I installed then from the packages list. So now I've searched on the packages list again, and cannot find the module for "fbdevhw". Where can I find it?

Thanks.

Which graphics card are you using?

Have a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and go over the warnings (WW) and errors (EE).

Posting both the log and your /etc/X11/xorg.conf will help troubleshooting.

dmesg says it's a Savage4. There's no /etc/X11/xorg.conf. I tried to attach Xorg.0.log, but it is seen as an invalid file. Renamed it to Xorg0log, but still seen as invalid. permissions are 644. The only EE I see is about fbdevhw.

Ok, forgot about that. Now I'm testing with xorg.conf.new. I've added DefaultDepth, HorizSync en VertRefresh. It still doesn't work ok. The message I keep getting is "failed to set mtrr: invalid argument". Can't find this in the log though. And trying to find out why "dri" doesn't get loaded.

hvn said:
Hi,

I just installed FBSD 7.2 with graphics on a PIII with 256 MB RAM. Now I have 2 problems:
1: when starting the default xinitrc by startx, twm comes up and directly freezes. What can I check or do about this?

Add the following lines to the top of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
        Option	"DontZap" "Off"
	Option  "AllowEmptyInput" "Off"
	Option  "AutoAddDevices"  "Off"
        Option  "AutoEnableDevices" "Off"
EndSection

Thank you for the answer. I added the lines, but it had no positive result. Any other suggestions? I read that fbdevhw shouldn't be used anyway. Is that correct?

"dri" is loaded by default.

Xorg.log:
Code:
(II) "dri" will be loaded by default.

It might be that the Savage4 GPU doesn't support direct rendering under FreeBSD.

The full /var/log/Xorg.0.log file would really help. If you are enable to attach it here for some reason, you can always use a pastebin service like http://pastebin.com/ and just give us the link to it.

Adam

Code:
(WW) AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or 'vmmouse' will be disabled.
(WW) Disabling Mouse0
(WW) Disabling Keyboard0

Since you are defining your own Mouse and Keyboard devices in your xorg.conf file, remove the AllowEmptyInput option.

Adding this lines to /etc/rc.conf soved problem for me.

Code:
moused_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES" 
hald_enable="YES"

Nesha said:
Adding this lines to /etc/rc.conf soved problem for me.

Code:
moused_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES" 
hald_enable="YES"

Thank you for replying. Apart from "dbus" I already had them in rc.conf. Unfortunately, adding "dbus" doesn't seem to be a solution for my problem.

Hi,

same problem here. fbdevhw module does not exist. I use 8.0 beta2, X compiled from sources inside virtualbox, host os is xp pro on thinkpad t43.

There is a /usr/local/lib/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.so and libfbdevhw.la but seem not to be used.

Does anyone had this problem? Please report.

Best regards from Germany

PS.
I use freebsd from version 1.0.0.0.0.0... still have working 2.2.8 with services for telephone, fax, switching light and much more... Using 4.8 for writing with groff, but want to update now.

I have 7.1 in virtual box, compiled from the latest ports source. For some reason fbdev appears to be set as default display driver if no other specified. Try vga.

Thank you for your suggestions. After compiling Xorg server, it asked for vesa and fbdev drivers. I installed both, but now it asks for fbdevhw. Will try to use vga now.

In device section of xorg.conf was listet driver as fbdev, which I changed to vesa. Not it works. Thank you very much for help.

Hy everyone,

I had the same erorr and I copy file /root/xorg.conf.new to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and no this error but i have another problem

when i try to run X -configure my process stops at

List of video drivers:
ati
radeon
mach64
nv
r128
radeonhd
vmware
openchrome
intel
i810
fbdev
vesa
(++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"

Xorg detected your mouse at device /dev/sysmouse.
Please check your config if the mouse is still not
operational, as by default Xorg tries to autodetect
the protocol.

Your xorg.conf file is /root/xorg.conf.new

To test the server, run 'X -config /root/xorg.conf.new'

any ideea?

PS my mouse is a PS/2 mouse and is at /dev/psm0

That's what 'Xorg -configure' does. Did you attempt to start X after you copied the xorg.conf.new file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf? Did it work? If not, what happened?

Adam

Hy everyone,

before copy /root/xorg.conf.new to /etc/X11/xorg.conf sigle line what i change in xorg.conf is the mouse at mouse from /dev/sysmouse to /dev/psm0

=>> /etc/X11/ is empty
1.At at startx i see mouse mouving and the keyboards works.
Ctrl+Alt+f1 and i see this first erorr
Module fbdev not found and i reinstall this :module fbdev
than i run again startx and
module fbdevhw not found i try to search in ports fbdehw but no found
2.Any time i run Xorg -configure i have same the erorr tha i mentioned before. and no choise.
Actually i try to edit the /root/xorg.conf.new :D but no way the X change it again

uname -a
FreeBSD XXXX.com 8.0-CURRENT-200905 FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT-200905 #0: Mon May 4 21:11:26 UTC 2009 root@mason.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

my video card is nvidia gforce fx5500 gigabyte

1) You don't need fbdevhw if your card has a native driver.

2) In your previous post you showed the output of 'Xorg -configure'. But there is no error in there. Nor are you supposed to get any choice. All it does is autogenerate a hopefully usable xorg.conf.new file.

What happens when you try to start X with the new xorg.conf file?

Adam

Back