Other Modern programming languages are too cryptic?

• Thread starter Deleted member 66267
  • Start date
What IDE are you using that lags in typing to display intellisense? Also, on what hardware? Pentium 3?
I was just awarded the trophy "Keeps comming back". You should be awarded with the trophy "Can't stop ranting", it's quite fit with you ;)

Eclipse CDT is much worse. CLion was better but I can still get work done faster without the intellisense and C++Builder... well, I didn't expect much anyway. Since version 6 it has been downhill all the way ;)
So it's C++? Nothing surprised! I used to want to team up with fryshke because I have never seen IDE slowness or lagging to the extent you described with either Java nor C#, but if it's C++ then everything is reasonable now. We are both right. The fight is over ;)

Heh, it was barely a fight. I personally would only ever seriously argue IDE's / text editors if management decided to force a development team to use one or the other. Some of it is just me venting that the current state of IDE's and the direction they are going is not always positive.

Yes, a lot of it is C++'s fault. The (over) complexity of the language makes parsing it difficult. Java and CSharp.NET intellisense often processes the bytecode instead (which is also faster). Native languages have a number of benefits but aren't exactly nicer to use.

I feel ANSI C gets away with it because it does not have templates but also it is of slightly limited use anyway because functions are not in structs, so it can only list fields. You still have to read the docs / headers to work out the function names. Even worse with OpenGL because most things are an opaque unsigned integer (GLuint).

Many and most new things start with C. Virtually everything gets an interface to or from C. And C works everywhere with everything. Until that stops happening, I will continue to think C first until I no longer can.

I drank all of the Ceylon and Java. :p 4.5 hour flight separates the two.

Ruby, Haskell, and C++ are frankly my kryptonite. Just the words 'Strongly Typed' make me sleepy, because I know it does not mean 'Banging on the keyboard as hard as you can'.

I was all on board with Java, before Microsoft kinda broke Java, during the late '90s/early 21st century Sun Microsystems vs. Microsoft wars. I still have the scars from that. Now, I use a tangled weave of PHP+Javascript+HTML+CSS to get (a mere subset of) the same kind of web-GUI functionality and cross-platform interoperability which, once-upon-a-time, seemed almost-possible and just-over-the-horizon with Java. Java is still very useful, but it will never be what it was once envisioned to be, in the before-lawsuit days of feigned cooperation between Microsoft and Sun. I don't even mess with it anymore.

I was all on board with Java, before Microsoft kinda broke Java, during the late '90s/early 21st century Sun Microsystems vs. Microsoft wars.
It is amusing how it pretty much did a full circle and now we are back where we started. With Microsoft's own Java release:

It is almost sad to think that Java is no longer cool enough for Microsoft to try to meddle with it. Though it is still early days and Microsoft is consistently flailing about.

It is amusing how it pretty much did a full circle and now we are back where we started. With Microsoft's own Java release:

It is almost sad to think that Java is no longer cool enough for Microsoft to try to fsck up. Though it is still early days and Microsoft is consistently flailing about.
Thanks for replying. I think this will probably soon be almost-forgotten by history, but I still remember when Microsoft paid over $20 million dollars US to Sun for their predatory breach-of-contract lawsuits in 2002, and laughed all the way to the bank. $20 million dollars was chicken-feed to Microsoft and everyone knew it, although Sun might have been a bit late to the party in figuring that out. Nobody cared that M$ broke laws and openly engaged in criminal predatory business practices. Civil litigation means little-or-nothing to the rich and mighty, and their big-money PR departments can easily spin the story however they like.

In fairness C# outgrew its Java origins, and is significantly better in some ways nowadays.
Assuming that this isn't just the chips talking, I generally agree. It is basically exactly what Java would have been if it had been cleanly rewritten around the same time C# was ;)

Though legacy is starting to show, I find it is considerably easier to maintain an old C program than update a .NET Core program written for an older .NET VM. Oddly enough Java seems to have this issue in a much milder form, even though it is a little older.

Back