modern "jobs"

Hello! we sorry to told you that you have not selected for the job, we decided to move on in anothers applicants
according to their experience for the jobs
when NEVER the tecnical area interviewed me , for every job I have a tecnical presentation in 100% production enviroments
and more than 16 years in Linux
(they only know Linux)
and never told me the "tecnical" cause because I'am not selected
Fucki..hate this rrhh nice girls that not now what a mouse is
but evaluate you and your experience and leave you out
I have experience,I can prove it,I can convince you with tecnical an live probes that fbsd is better that any TODAY Linux
and even if I have to use Linux, OK , I do it without complain

Hello! we sorry to told you that you have not selected for the job, we decided to move on in anothers applicants
according to their experience for the jobs
when NEVER the tecnical area interviewed me , for every job I have a tecnical presentation in 100% production enviroments
and more than 16 years in Linux
(they only know Linux)
and never told me the "tecnical" cause because I'am not selected
Fucki..hate this rrhh nice girls that not now what a mouse is
but evaluate you and your experience and leave you out
I have experience,I can prove it,I can convince you with tecnical an live probes that fbsd is better that any TODAY Linux
and even if I have to use Linux, OK , I do it without complain
That's is default for expats.

It even gets more frustrating when in a job interview the interviewer is a very young woman with less life experience then yourself.
Currently I'm retired. So I no longer have this kind of stress and frustration.

You don't talk to HR. You talk to your going-to-be boss. I once was present when the development lead tore a HR drone a new one for rejecting me for my age and only passing on DIE hires. Good times. Your new boss has to go to HR with your file and order them to send you a contract. If he can't, that place is run by HR and no good place to work anyway.

I keep hearing that the problem is DEI and that really seems to be untrue in my experience.
There is certainly a lot of agism, and I do remember when you worked for a company and loyalty went down as well as up. But when I hear complaints about DEI I just think of the phrase, When you're used to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

And here, in the US, unless you know someone at a company, in recent years, and probably in the last 15 years, almost all other job openings come from recruiters who are often not very knowledgeable. I think I got one of my favorite jobs, (around the mid 2000's) from a Craig's list ad, I answered out of mild curiosity, someone from the company's HR, (not a recruiting agency), called, me, and the next step was an interview with the IT lead. Nowadays, I haven't seen a job ad that's not from a recruiter--or maybe from a large company on Linkedin, which, since bought by MS, has become a terrible, almost spam, source.

A friend was recently job hunting, and he had a lot of horror stories. 5 emails from different recruiters for the same job, because his resume had a couple of key words, though he really had done nothing like what the jobs were looking for. I remember years ago when the the first few sentences on my resume specified that I wasn't looking for contract work, and only looking for work in a certain area (this was before COVID, and remote work becoming common), and would always get a bunch of offers, from recruiters, that totally ignored that--my logic was that if they missed the first two sentences of the resume, then, they'd only relied on key words.

But anyway, I agree with eternal_noob, keep trying, and sooner or later, somehow, your resume will make it to someone who can use a person like you. The path, however, can be discouraging, and aggravating.

I actually gave up looking for a new job because of the incompetence of the HR people. You get questioned from people 30 years younger than you who know nothing about the job but they learned on Linkedin which are the words they're supposed to use. Lucklily I already have a job and even if I don't have any career opportunities I'm keeping it because it pays the bills and I have a family to take care of.

I just have to keep it up for 12 more years...

I keep hearing that the problem is DEI and that really seems to be untrue in my experience.
I had twice new collegues being promoted around me so they were suddenly my superior. Both fitted the same requirements. Female and Blond.
Both had no idea how to lead a project, nor a team. In my experience, "diverse" means "no white men, certainly no old white men".

fmc000 13... but let's see what the age of retirement is then.
"Tomorrow you turn 80! Any plans on the party?"
"Are you mad? I have the early shift..."

Once i was applying for a job. And the first thing they asked was to see a doctor. And do a blood analysis.
I told i will do this but only as the last part of my application.
The idea is sometimes to make sollicitants feel bad. Read you are "shit", sorry for the wording.
When i had an interview with a psycho-loge as first part it always went bad.
Best was when the first part was with the future manager. That went good. To talk with the psycho-loge afterwards was more a formality.
I have had my part with solicitations. I did two on one day. In the morning i was too old. In the afternoon i did not had enough experience.
[You must be joking right]
Now I'm retired. And i don't miss the stress of a job.
Ok, less money, less honey (read women). But that's also part of the game.

I've seen work environment change over time. From at first freedom at do your job, to the last, micromanagement.
Or don't receiving any work at all. Also frustrating.
I really enjoyed working in a small American company. They were selling I.T. for the European & middle-east market.
They had 49 employees. At 50 they had needed a trade union. No union, no bullshit.
Evaluation at the end of the year. Hi Boss, i did well ?. Yes you did. See you next year.
No need to fill in a 20 page document, asking me stupid questions where i could improve myself.

Speaking from the inside of a large company, we receive 700-1000 job applications per intermediate job posting. The vast majority of applicants have next to no experience with UNIX/Linux or anything computers for that matter. There are fewer applications for the junior (lower paid) job postings. From the inside of a company perspective I've witnessed an expectations shift over the last five years.

One also sees the same job postings being advertised month after month. Some of this is ghosting, where employers are browsing and if the perfect candidate floats by they react. But on the flip side, we at $JOB are getting a lot of applications from people with zero exposure to anything computer related. We feel people send out resumes like throwing spaghetti on the wall to see what sticks. That probably explains why the same job postings remain up month after month.

Part of this are the demographic challenges most if not all countries face. As older more experienced workers retire there are many fewer people, let alone people with the credentials or experience, just people, to replace them. Years ago companies would encourage older workers to retire sooner than later. I don't see this anymore.

IMO the job market has changed, but so has the pool of applicants. I don't think anyone is used to this new job environment yet.

I once got a job because i was the only applicant who sent the application in paper form. All others by e-mail. My boss at that time said he was impressed by the uniqueness of my application.

I once got a job because i was the only applicant who sent the application in paper form. All others by e-mail. My boss at that time said he was impressed by the uniqueness of my application.
We hired someone because their resume was humorous. One of the people on the interview committee wanted to meet this guy. He interviewed very well. We hired him. If it wasn't for the humor in his resume I doubt the one person on the committee would have insisted on interviewing him.

He's still working for us today.

I made once my resume in "Latex". It got the attention of the C.E.O. Everyone uses microsoft-word.
?

You should generally export a PDF regardless of using LaTeX or word processor.

I do recommend LaTeX as a tool for CV writing. You can then put it in version control and use branches / merges for "per-company" and "per-specialization" tweaks to the CV. Even something as subtle as the order of known technologies / programming languages is useful to manage.

AVOID HR!
HR is not for to employ people, but to avoid employment, finding reasons for not to employ people.

For them it's not about expertise.
They went to some business school, specialized for HR - I don't have the slightest idea what they learn there.
But for sure it's not judging expertise. Because that's what they absolutely cannot.
They don't know shit about expertise. They don't care.
That for engineering jobs technical expertise is not a nice-to-have extra decorating accessories but the crucial value, is something out of their box, completely unthinkable, not the universe they live in.

I remember a job interview I once had.
The hiring advert was very specific of what they demanded (also not so common at all). So I had a pretty good idea, what they were doing, what's needed to be done on the job, what they were looking for.
Since I'm aware of what I know, what I can, and what not I was convinced I was exactly the right man they were looking for that job.
So I fired up my resume highlighting my job relevant experiences, as I understood the pretty clear advert, wrote mostly about the job-relevant things I've done, and been very brief about any additional but not directly relevant stuff.
The job interview came.
HR-crone: "That's all very nice. But you are applying for a job involving lots of work with computers, but according to your CV you don't have any knowledge of computers at all."
Several seconds I was complety stunned. Did this pretentious floozie in their 6k€ designer dress took even the slightest peek into my dossier?
And why did she invited my to an interview anyway if she already knew I don't know shit?
As it got cleared up in my CV I skipped "MS Windows, MS Office, MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Outlook"
"Stop!" you may point out, "MS Office, and then all the rest is a bit redundant."
No. Not for HR! At least not this hag.
That's exactly what she listed me, after I referred to my resume, and pointed out that those for someone on such jobs is given, and not worth to be mentioned extra.
Nope. Wrong!
No knowledge of how to use Microsoft's end-user-software, no computer knowledge at all.
The company was looking for some developer for electronics and software containing 8- and 16bit Microcontrollers, but their holy HR-expert had never heard of assembler, nor some IDEs I listed in my CV, not even a remote idea what "C" might be.
To me the job interview was over.
I regret sending an application in the first place.
How will this continue, how will it end, when you want to bite into the desk before it even started?
So I looked into her eyes and said:
"A trained navy seal applying as a combat diver does not list all the splash-pond-ribbons from kindergarden."
Then I left the room, leaving her astonished.

As eternal_noob said:
This is part of the game.
HR are firewalls to prevent people from being employed.
There is no lack of skilled workers. There is HR.

You need to get your CV and credentials to an engineer.
It always worked for me.
I sent over 200 job applications to HR.
This way got me twelve job interviews, and not a single job.
If I got my application directly to some egineer, someone who understands what expertises I have, group leader, or head of department (depends on the company), I got a phone call end of the same week at the latest, job interview next week, the job asap.
Got me all my jobs I had so far this way, and only this way.

I got my first job because the IT manager at the time was impressed that I had installed Linux by myself. It was 1997 and I was 28 years old. Unfortunately here in Italy we not only had to attend 5 years at the Univerisity before graduation but at that time we also had to serve one year in the military (where one Sunday I installed a game server on the only Unix machine we had there, so we could play Duke Nukem on the LAN).

Basically we started working when our international colleagues had already 3-4 years of experience.

Is good to hear all your experiencies guys,some of you says that I have to avoid HR
I wish! , the "new" jobs agencies for name it some way...is like this: (linkedin)

-you apply to a job
-the recruiter contacts you if they like your cv
-interview(videocall) with the recruiter (here they check if your meet their offer,salary,job mode,etc)
-if you go furter, then a interview(videocall) with the tecnical area
-if you go any furter, a presencial interview with the "boss" and the tecnical area
and that is all

happen to me,that the recruiter dont knows even their name and pass me to the second interview to the tecnical
area, and then dont contact me anymore, even if the guy in the tecnical area tell me(literal words), ok,so..the next step
is that RH call you to begin
but, I dont have any contact with this guy on tecnical area...
and leave behind another cases when dont pass the first interview with the recruiter because they dont like it some thing..
for example,age,form of speak or someting more...

and try to contact the boss or the company head, but is too much social engineering (I have to learn how to use that tools)
so..this is today jobs interviews..a bulshi##

and today I'am working in a gubernamental place, for about 15 years, and back then, see the job offer in a page..send my cv,
they call me for a interview and go...start being tecnical support and today call myself a OPs manager

Back